Monday, March 8, 2021

Sunday visits

 The weather is changing and fluctuating almost every day.  Last week it was sunny but quite cold. This week it's going to be sunny and quite warm.  Yesterday was in between.  

I don't like to fry inside the house and found if it's too cold outside the frying fat just doesn't get as hot as it could/should so when we get a nice March day and I can set up my hot plate on the porch it's a good day for the cruschiki (Polish bow ties.)  When we were growing up it wasn't Easter if my grandma didn't make these and I've taken up the torch.  Even though Easter will be quiet again this year these have to be part of the day.  I always make them ahead and freeze them.  I remember every year going to my grandma's on Good Friday and watching her make these, bake and prep the food for Easter. 

I use my mom's cast iron skillet - actually, this one is her peanut brittle skillet because it's deep.
About halfway through the cooking the grandgirls walked over with the dog for a visit.  Elizabeth loves these and was impatiently waiting for the powdered sugar sprinkle part.  Adelaide eats them raw.  Not cooked.

 Her favorite thing to do when she comes over here is to bake something.  She doesn't follow a recipe, she just adds eggs, oil, butter (sometimes), flour, baking powder, sugar, vanilla and hopes for the best.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  

One year ago today we left for England. 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm.... a year ago how different our world was.Those cruschiki do look very good.
    My Italian neighbors used to make something very similar I think they were called cristolis or something like that. So nice cooking with the grandkids. Oh it's nice right now the rain is pelting on the roof.....

    ReplyDelete