Thursday, March 11, 2021

Strawberry Waffle

 

One year ago today we were in Bruges, Belgium with Brian.  We knew as food went we had to have Belgian waffles, fries, beer and chocolate.  The first thing we did after putting our bags in our hotel rooms was to find the waffles.  We were hungry after the train ride under the English Channel and into Belgium and waffles were on top of our list.  

We all chose something different as we settled into a restaurant that served only waffles.  PH had chocolate ice cream, Brian had vanilla and I had strawberries and ice cream.  When we got home I found, quite by accident as I was looking for something else, these checked fabrics in beigey colors.  "Hmmm..." I thought. "These look like the squares in waffles."  It was about 1 a.m. but I was pulling everything I could find that said waffle. Then I thought, "strawberries!" and started pulling pinks and reds.  The next day I was cutting squares (waffles) and sewing them together (by hand) into a strawberry waffle quilt.  Now a year later I'm quilting it and in keeping with the waffle squares it's just quilted in squares. At first I was not happy with myself that it took a year to get around to quilting this but on second thought decided it's a good way to remind myself why I made it and who we were with and everything happens for a reason.

7 comments:

  1. What a great memory and Oh the waffles do sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilt and you will remember that day every time you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm--Belgian Waffles. Yum!! Love the story behind this quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like perfect timing to be quilting this quilt and reliving happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like a strawberry waffle. It's nice to go over old travel memories,amazing when they pop up. Can't wait to see the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt, and yes, those waffles and strawberries look so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely way to remember your trip to Belgium with the quilt...and yum to the waffles!

    ReplyDelete