Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Duck, Duck, Goose

 Remember that game when you were a kid?  I couldn't help but think of that when I took photos of the latest finishes and not finishes.   When we were locked down I pin basted five quilts and saved them for this winter to quilt.  I forgot, though, constant quilting is a terror on my hands and my thumb splits so it didn't go as fast as I'd hoped.   BUT! I do have these to show

                                                                           Finished

                                                                           Finished

I gave this one to a machine quilter.  There was no way I could get my fingers to accept all of these seams AND these fabrics are all very old and very different from each other.  Friend Jan gave a pile of these stars to Friend Marilyn and I and we split them between us.  Marilyn gave me the background fabric and I appliqued them down.  Frazzled edges,  silks, shirtings, there were so many different fabrics.  I sent it out with the instructions to "just get the seams secured!" 

                                                                       Not finished.

Friend Sally was cleaning out.  She asked if I'd like some dresden plates.  I said sure!  So she sent a box.  In the box was a pile of dresden plates all in original 30's fabrics,  many hexie flowers and these blocks she got in an exchange.  I didn't want to add to the pile on MY shelves so simply put a sweet border on each block and attached them together.  But there were only eleven.  I didn't want to make another one.  I took one of the dresden plates, appliqued it down to a white and bordered it.  If you notice that one and the green one ext to it are out of seam alignment with the squares above them.  That will be fixed.  I was trying to decide if I could live with it but it's an easy fix so I will.  This isn't big, it would make a nice size for a little girl.   And I don't think that little dresden plate is out of place at all. 

                                                                          Finished.

Again, too many seams so I sent this along with the star strip quilt to be machine quilted.  You have to understand this is a huge concession for me.  It's completely out of my scrap tub and no rhyme or reason to placement. But I love it and have been curling up with it at night.

                                                                                   Finished.

The backing for this one?  An April Cornell tablecloth. The French toile scene is perfect for the Belgian waffles and strawberries .

                                                                          Not finished.  

Almost. But not quite.  It will be a pillow and that's why it isn't finished.  I've made exactly one pillow in my quilting life and while this needs and will get more quilting, it's the pillow construction that's holding me back.


I made some bunny cookies a couple of weeks back and stuck them in the freezer for decorating.  It came to me that maybe using stiff, cheap, dollar store paintbrushes would be a good way to frost them.  Paint it on.  So I made some frosting, called the girls over and they got to work.

 It turns out stiff, cheap paintbrushes are a great way to decorate a fuzzy bunny cookie. 

7 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about making pillows. I'd be in the same boat with a beautiful appliqued square, all layered, and the quilting done. . . and putting off the actual construction of a pillow. Give me curved seams or 300 inches of binding but don't make me make a pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making pillows is not something I love doing, either.
    But I do love seeing all these finishes. Smart to have the many-seamed tops machine quilted.
    What a clever way to decorate the cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely finishes and always good to have lots of seamed ones sent out to be quilted...
    Good luck with the pillow ...
    The girls had fun decorating.....
    Yummy frenzy of bunnies 🐰 and butterflies 🦋

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, the girls at your household have been busy. Quilts, cooking and icing. Your quilts are so nice and using scraps is really quilting. I also love the way you throw in something different like a dresden or a bird. I even see my bee material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely finishes and non finishes too! you have been busy again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have done well with that quilt collection....I like them all......

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got so much done especially since it is so hard on your hands!

    ReplyDelete