Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Whatcha got cookin'?

    OK, so, everyone is talking about how often and whether we change our clothes - or even WEAR clothes instead of sweats.  Getting dressed up to take out the garbage . Don't laugh.  A week ago PH and I went for a ride in the car and both of us put on 'nice' clothes to not even get out of the car!  People are talking about how busy the liquor stores are and I would wager what they are buying isn't going into home made hand sanitizer.  It's hard to find things to talk about because for once we are all doing the same things.  Not a lot of variety out there.
    But one thing we can do is cook.  We've been eating out of our freezer.  In the past we've been those kind of people who buy meat on sale and stuff it in the freezer.  PH is particularly fond of buying Johnsonville brats and I think we could host a wedding reception if we thawed all of them at once. 
    Digging around one day I found some shrimp we didn't serve at Christmas. 
 So I tried my hand at home made pasta.  Cooked the shrimp in butter and garlic and tossed it all with pesto.  That was one good dinner!
  
     Wandering through Pinterest one day I and found these Italian Easter cookies.  They looked like something I used to get at a bakery that hasn't been around for many years.  I tried them.  They were TOO good so I sent them down the street to my daughter's house.

     I found a recipe for one chocolate chip cookie.  I didn't need the recipe but the breakdown of ingredient amounts. It says one cookie but that one cookie is the size of a dinner plate so I divided it into four.  One cookie for each of us for two days.  They are buttery, chocolatey, nutty.  We love nuts in our chocolate chip cookies but most of the rest of the family doesn't so it's not very often we have a good nutty chocolate chip cookie. 
    Our daughter, bless her heart, is doing her level best to keep us in the house.  I don't know where she thinks we go.  We do go to the grocery store, as we are allowed once a week, and we take a walk once a day.  She belongs to this group called FarmLink and yesterday when she picked up her order she added some goodies for us.  Parsnips, yellow beet, fresh lettuce, a few potatoes, cheese and baguette.
     So, while you are sitting around in your jammies, are you cooking?


 One Chocolate Chip Cookie (or four)
Heat oven to 350
2 tablespoons softened butter  (use BUTTER)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk (do not use the whole egg - just the yolk)
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup flour
1/8 tsp. each salt and baking soda
1/4 cup chocolate chips (or more!)
Nuts  ( I don't measure nuts and I use pecans and/or walnuts)

I use a spoon and a bowl, it doesn't make a lot of dough.  I use parchment on my baking sheets so use whatever you use to make sure they don't stick to the cookie sheet.  Don't use the whole egg.  I was talking while mixing these up one day and put the whole egg in.  It is an entirely different thing if you do that, so don't.

Mix the butter and sugars.  Add the egg and vanilla.  Add the flour, baking soda and salt.  Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.   I divide the dough into four and put on cookie sheet.  
Recipe says to bake 20-22 minutes but I bake mine for 15 minutes.  You don't want them burnt or too crispy.   Cool and eat.   



No comments:

Post a Comment