Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas 6

        I'm reading this book to the kids at school this week.  It's one of my absolute favorites and Cynthia Rylant is one of my favorite authors. I love her writing voice, so quiet and calm.  Like listening to someone tell a story about someone they know while sitting on the porch in the evening.
        In this story, she tells of the Santa Train, a train that wound its way through the hills and hollows of the Appalachian Mountains each Christmas.  It's about how important this train is to the children who live back in the hills.  About the man who brings the train each year and tosses a silver package to each of the children waiting for the train to bring them what may be the only gift they'll receive that year.  A toy and socks, or mittens or a hat or scarf.
      In this story Frankie wishes every year for a particular toy and each year waits patiently in the cold along the side of the tracks and hopes.  And it's the story of what Frankie makes of his life.
     I tell you, while I'm reading it you can hear a pin drop in this room and at the end, a gasp from the kids.


I'm also working so hard on the baby quilt for our newest grandchild, a boy, come first of February.   Wow, what a project I've taken on!   These itsy, bitsy pieces!  It's taking a long time at each sitting to do just one stall in the barn.  I still have to do the embroidery outlines and eyes...yikes...eentsy, weentsy pieces!

 These are a little dark because I snapped them as I was leaving this morning and we leave while it's still dark outside.
 I'm changing colors from the pattern, but you already know I'm not a good pattern follower. I change things.
Anyway,  it's hard to work so close to deadline, especially while also reading a good book.  I'm working on Round House by Louise Erdrich and it's very good.  I have one eye on the needle and clock (because I have to be in bed by 9 p.m.) and one eye on the book sitting over there in the chair...waiting for me. 

1 comment:

  1. your quilt is looking lovely and I'm sure it will be finished in time!

    ReplyDelete