Next stage: the back. Adelaide chose this beauty from my stash. It's been hiding in there for years. I always loved it too much to cut into it so it works here for sure. And it gets to stay whole.
Problems. There isn't quite enough. I don't have a designated sewing room/studio to lay out a quilt. I don't get down on my knees anymore...not if I want to get back up...so the floor as a working space doesn't work. If I lay it out on a bed it never lays flat enough to get a good measure if a good measure is what I need. When I was working I used the tables in the library. When I stitched with a small group in town I could arrive early and use those tables. So I commandeer the not-big-enough dining room table and PH puts his true Patient Husband hat on and doesn't complain.The thing is, this back needs a border to extend the edges to fit. This is where the panic sets in. This is why I buy way more than I will need. I know me and I know I will fudge this somehow so I need extra in house. I need to cut enough so the borders are even all around but if you look closely the sides don't need as much as the ends.
So it sits. Waiting. Someday I'll be brave and get the thing cut. Maybe this weekend.
Those of you who have a whole room with actual room to do your stuff? Lucky you!



That fabric is absolutely perfect for the back. I wonder if your local library has a conference-type room with tables you could borrow for a few hours one day? My guild used to sew in the one our library had once a month on Saturdays, so it's a thought? Whatever you do, though, I'm sure it will turn out fine.
ReplyDeleteCan you put a strip of something down the middle? Maybe add some left over border fabrics to fill that shortfall on the side? I am confident that you will sort it no problems.
ReplyDeletenice to have a willing worker...another reason i don't make big quilts anymore...just no space enough for them
ReplyDeleteI married into a large family. I have available three tables that extend to seat 14 people (each!) no getting on the floor for me! :) Saying that good luck sorting out the back...I always come up a bit short and it is always fabric I have had for too long. Love the quilt!
ReplyDeletePerfect fabric for the backing and I hope you work out how to it completed.
ReplyDeleteI think Adelaide will love it so much
ReplyDelete