Saturday, August 15, 2026

Fibers

 

Yesterday Friend Laurie and I made our annual pilgrimage to FiberFest.  FiberFest is the most tactile experience!  It's held at a fairground so the exhibition buildings are where the vendors set up and classes take place.  I've never taken a class, I go to run my hands through the yarns and fleece and sometimes we go to the animal pens and get blatted and bleated at. 

This time we were both tired from a busy, busy week and Laurie was preparing for another busy week coming up but we didn't want to let the weekend go by without at least trying.  I had one thing I wanted to look for - usually I have one thing I want to look for, it gives the sauntering through hot exhibition buildings a purpose.  Every year I'm looking for something different.

This year it was a nalbinding needle, maybe a book, but hopefully maybe talking to a vendor and seeing it done.  Nalbinding is ancient.  Older than knitting and crochet. There are discovered pieces dating back to 6,500 BCE. Some pieces attributed to both Denmark and Judea.  It's a single needle and a looping technique and you use short lengths of yarn, not single long lengths like in knitting or crochet.           

 Of course I want to try it. 


I did my research, looked up the possibility someone would have nalbinding supplies because if FiberFest didn't have it then who would?  I am a "show me, don't tell me" learner. I have to see it done then can do it myself. I didn't want to learn from pictures in a book, I need to SEE someone doing it, ask questions.  

 In the program online I found a booth, wrote the number down.  We headed for that first.   The woman at the booth said they don't have them, never did, and the people who make up the maps and brochures and lists never get it right.  Sigh. We moved on, headed for a booth I felt sure would have the needles and yes, they did.  This booth rarely disappoints.  But while they had the needles, I had only to choose which pretty felt nicest, they didn't know how to use the needles except to make fishing nets.  The woman suggested YouTube.  I don't know why I never think of YouTube first, always last.   I bought the needle, have yarn at home and checked YouTube and yes, indeed, when I'm ready to listen and learn there are options. 

We had to stop for lunch.  We always stop at the barbecue booth because these guys know how to do it.  I usually get their baked beans because they do them like I do, all gussied up, not just dumped out of a can and warmed up.  Well, this time we both opted for what they called "cow pie."  A way too generous serving of macaroni and cheese topped with barbecue.  Not one darned thing healthy about it but it sure was good! 

While we were eating in this covered area we saw this yurt.  Unfortunately, while we were eating the woman who made it took a break and we missed talking to her.  But here are some photos.


It really was incredible.  This felted wool was VERY thick and held on with woolen cords. You can see to the left where one sheet of felt was overlap seamed and held with the cord.

But the inside! While the yurt is portable, it's not easy or quick.  Just gorgeous.

Along with the nalbinding needle I did get a birthday gift for Adelaide and yet another tote bag.  It's huge. If you knit, crochet, spin, weave, dye, felt or make baskets, FiberFest is irresistible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment