Monday, May 13, 2024

Completely Unplanned

 When PH and I travel by car I have to have something to do.  I tend to be a back seat driver.  So, to take the pressure off him, I need something to do that keeps my hands busy and mouth shut.  Over the years I've knitted, made yo-yos, made a mountain of hexies.  

As we were planning this road trip down South I started rummaging for a car project and found a bag of hexies.  I sorted them by color, stacked them in a box because the work space is very compact, and started stitching as soon as we pulled out of the driveway.  

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to how I'm stitching them together.  None.  There can't be, there aren't enough of anything to make a plan. 

I discovered early on it was much easier to connect them without the paper backing so as I went I pulled the backing out of a small pile of mixed colors as needed and stitched as randomly as anything could be.  The only thing I looked out for was not to put two reds or two navy blues side by side. It's kind of a trip down memory lane, my own I Spy.  There are old fabrics, new, juvenile, Liberty, Christmas, just scraps that were big enough to make into a hexie long ago on a different car trip. 

This is what I accomplished for 2,000 miles of driving.  I'm not in a rush, there is another trip coming up this month so there is more time.  I found in the bag three flowers that had been put together  so they will be added and hidden in the mix.  I have no idea how big this thing is going to be and am trying to shape it a little now.  We will just have to wait and see what happens. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how neatly organized they are in the box. Thank you for sharing that photo. Of course the quilt progress is gorgeous as well. I too like to have a car project. Mine doesn't stay in the car though.

    ReplyDelete