Saturday, February 13, 2021

Fixed

 Last summer when I was showing the girls the rudimentary points of hand piecing I introduced them to Jack first.

 

 I told them, "This is your best friend.  You will use him often. His name is Jack.  Jack the Ripper. I always know where he is."

Last week I thought I'd give a go to a big square quilt.  A quick project, simple design, shouldn't take too long.
 And it didn't.  At first.  Just a day to do what would have taken most of you a couple of hours.  Took me a day but it's ok.  I have nothing but time.

I finished it, ironed it, let it sit for awhile but just couldn't get it into my head that it was ok.  I didn't like that upper right corner of two blocks.  The pink wasn't right.  I called Friend Marilyn and told her I was sending a photo to her, to look at it and tell me what was wrong.  She said, upper right corner, two blocks.  OK. We agree.  If I was going to like this simple and quick project in colors I like, I had to fix it.

How long would it have taken YOU to rip out two blocks, put two new pinks in and reattach them?  An hour?   Me?  Three and a half.  Oh, man. I used Jack and took out those two.  Cut new fabric and attached them to their greens.  So far, so good.  But then cutting the other two on that top row out and reattaching them to the fixed squares and sewing the row back on...well, now it gets interesting.  I won't go into the details but it wasn't pretty and PH heard some words coming from the dining room.  Now it reads better and makes sense and I like it.  I'll iron it and fold it up and put it on the to-be-quilted pile.

I need a nap.

8 comments:

  1. Well done on the fix with the quilt top, it looks really good. Sometimes quilting causes us to need a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mind the other but this does look better......don't worry i'm as slow as you puttting this one together......but also I wasn't in a rush and wanted it right.......what size did it end up measuring using 18" cut?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely now, all the cursing remind me of my Trail Mix blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you got there. That’s the main thing. Hope it doesn’t take you too long to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think both look good, but you need to like it, so I think it is good you switched out those blocks. How long would it have taken me to do the same? Who knows! I tend to sit and stare at things for long stretches--which, in turn, stretches out the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some days just go like that. I'm glad you persevered, as the end product looks great. I think we all have a love/hate relationship with our own "Jack".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha!!! some days are just like that... Pleased you're now happy with it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's done now and looks good but its always annoying when you have to go back and do it again.

    ReplyDelete