Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Evicted





Evicted by Matthew Desmond

    I kept thinking as I read this book, “There but for the grace of God go I”  or any of us who can afford to buy this book.   We don’t know how to be poor.  It’s a thing of wonder to me that the poor are not given more credit for being smart because anyone who can navigate the world of poverty has to be very smart.  It’s not easy.
    In Evicted, Matthew Desmond followed his instincts and eight families as he navigated the world of poverty and most especially in finding a place to live. In gaining their trust and becoming a part of their world he tells their stories and opens our eyes to a life I hope to God I never find myself in.
    This was one of the saddest books I’ve ever read.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no. Just your description has brought tears to my eyes. I know what you mean about that "there but for the grace of God go I." I think that often. I am blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often find those who overcome adversity to be very wise and it is often from these stories that I gain strength and inspiration. You learn more from hard times than you do when things go well.
    Sounds like a good read, if a little humbling.

    ReplyDelete