Thursday, June 30, 2022

June 30 and Strawberries

It's the end of the month so this is the end of clothes hanging on the line photos. It was fun to revisit some of my photos and remember  what I did to get the shot.  Sometimes a little trespassing was happening and sometimes some hiding in bushes but mostly not.


The end of June also marks the almost end of strawberry season.  There are some pickings left but it's more work now.  I think we will go picking  one more time for one more pie.
 
This is almost exclusively what we do with our berries.  We aren't jam people, it can take us a whole year to eat one jar of jam so I don't bother making it, but accept a gifted jar once in awhile.

Yesterday I read Friend Laurie's post and started thinking of the many different ways we would rather eat strawberries.  When we were sitting in her kitchen this morning we clarified things a little. It just goes to show ya there is a different way to do everything and we all do what we were raised doing -  most of the time. This brought me to thinking of  "would you rather."  We used to  have conversations that started this way when the kids were younger and there always was some thinking in the replies.  Lots of wishful thinking. 


After reading Laurie's post I got to thinking, WE cut the berries, sugar them a LITTLE and wait for them to juice a tiny bit  to put on ice cream. WE don't eat  strawberry shortcake with biscuits, it's pound cake for us. In fact I can't even remember when we've last had strawberry shortcake because this pie has taken over our strawberry life.  WE don't munch the berries to partial mush and then sugar them and put them on a biscuit because that just creates soggy bread.  I have a physical reaction to soggy bread ( no French toast or bread pudding in this house.) Laurie said it's a sacrilege to put ice cream on pound cake and then top with strawberries. For her, it's absolutely no ice cream and only whipped cream is allowed.  Whipped cream is the fattening part, right? So it's ice cream for us.

We laughed about the rights and wrongs of strawberries  but one thing we agreed on, strawberry season in Michigan is just too short.  Of course we have to gorge on them. 

8 comments:

  1. I love the way the clothes are hug on the line! hang on the line! I can almost taste those strawbrries, they look like the ones from my youth. Nowadays they taste like water! It's raspberries with clotted cream for me! No bread or cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those strawberries look delicious ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks are super white! The strawberries look amazing. It is strawberries and icecream for me with a little runny cream poured over the top so it freezes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a little giggle thinking of you trespassing, or hiding in bushes to get your laundry line photos. I have enjoyed them.
    I love strawberries fresh and sweet, but my Mom absolutely could not eat them without a sprinkle (or dumping) of sugar on top. I also like to throw them in a batch of ice cream and let them get mashed up in the churning. That's how I like my strawberries and cream. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey stalker........I have enjoyed all the pics of clothes lines........I too love looking back at pics and taking myself back to the moment..........
    I wished I had a strawberry farm that I could pick at........lucky you even if your season is short..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA HA I don't think there is much difference between whipped cream and ice cream so go with your favourite I say. I was just thinking last week it must be strawberry pie time for you. Funnily enough its strawberry time for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha Ha There's not much difference between cream and ice cream so go with the one you like I say. I was just thinking last week it must be strawberry tart time for you. Funnily enough its strawberry time for us too.

    ReplyDelete