Friday, April 30, 2021

Things keep moving

 Time keeps moving and things keep changing with it so we can't become complacent at all.  Life won't let us and truly, these things keep us on our toes and active and involved. 

Our dear little guy, and the youngest of them, just made his First Communion last week.  It was an event we couldn't personally attend because of crowd restrictions but were able the next day to watch on a stream from the church.  Actually, watching it that way we had a perfect vantage point so all was good.
This little guy has a smile that is bigger than he is.  We all break into a big smile when he flashes his.  I tell our son that this smile is going to take this little guy places.  He knows JUST when to flash it and you can't help but fall in.  His sentimental momma made sure he was wearing a tie and tie clip from his great grandpas and carried a rosary from his dad that HE received on HIS First communion that was blessed by the Pope.  With all of those invisible hands on his shoulder he has it made.
This is what we think of Covid and this little one, who is now a decade older than this photo, has Covid. We've all been so lucky so far.  Last fall our son's family had it but were all asymptomatic.  This one had/has it and after a weekend of high fever she is now dealing with the loss of smell and taste and isolation. Oh, and boredom.  Because the Health Department said it was ok, big sister moved out of their house and into ours to keep isolated from her sister.  
For PH, it's that time of year again. It's been cold here these past two weeks and the cool and slightly rainy weather is a grass growing dream.
This is my latest piecing project.  I started this so long ago I truly can't date it. I can measure it in decades.  I had to think back to how long I've been quilting.  Then I realized I pieced the HSTs by hand and the stitches were tiny and even so it was really a long time ago.  Then I realized I had two  ideas tucked into the bag.  The first one was taken from a photo of a tile floor somewhere in Italy.  At the intersection of  the pinwheels there was a small, darker blue square.  I was new, new, new to quilting and thought, "that looks easy" but also new enough to not be sure exactly how to do that darker little accent square without piecing it.  I knew even back then I didn't like the machine. I thought appliqueing the accent piece in the intersection would work but I remember being afraid of applique back then.  Fold it up and put everything away. Years later I saw something else in a magazine and thought, "that looks easy"and folded it up and put it in the bag.  I pulled it all out of the closet last week and decided it's been moved enough.  But I also knew the machine was going to finish these pinwheels.  I will attach a few together and work it with easy idea #2 in sections.  I think it's going to be the prettier of the two easies. 

And so the pile of UFOs grows. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope your little one gets better soon. It is interesting how we start projects thinking they will be easy and then find they are not!! I hope this one plays nice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little guy does have a winning smile!
    Hope the little gal with COVID makes a full recovery soon.
    My hubby has been mumbling about having to mow lawns again--he mows on a riding mower now, for goodness sake. What's to complain about? LOL
    You will have a nice pinwheel quilt eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope shes on the mend very fast.......goodluck finishing those projects.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that smile, hope the covid has improved

    ReplyDelete