Saturday, June 27, 2020

A fine afternoon

We are all encouraged and admonished to stay away from each other, stay home, stay alone. But there are things we can do and still feel like we are alive even if we have to do them alone.

As I was coming home from the grocery store the other day, a beautiful clear day, I stopped when I saw this gentleman painting in the little park at the dam

 He was working on the building across the street. 
 Directly behind him, on the other side of that fence I saw
just steps away, these three young guys fishing at the dam


And there was this gentleman just enjoying the afternoon with his dog.

It's hard, everything in Michigan is cancelled until Christmas.  I told PH and the girls that after spending so much time alone or just with PH or seeing a little of the girls when they wander over from boredom, I've gotten used to my own pace, to just having PH, who has learned to just agree with me.  When I do go out I've found I am so much more impatient, less tolerant, quicker to lose it when confronted by a misdeed, someone driving 14 mph down the road, some empty shelves this week that weren't last week, seeing people unmasked, just being told "no."   It didn't help (well, maybe it did a little ) to read during this week a new book (for review) by Fredrik Backman called Anxious People  where everyone is an idiot. His word. But I understood completely.  And felt better. A little.  Sort of.   Then, seeing these singular activities on a beautiful day right in the middle of town, well, that made me feel better, too.  A little.  Sort of.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the artist, the fishermen (boys), and the fellow just chillin'. It' like seeing a scene from the way it used to be - when people took time to enjoy the simple things and they weren't in such a hurry. I know what you mean about settling into a routine because we can't go places. I sew at my machine in the mornings, I fix lunch for DH and I, I read, I quilt at the frames, I watch the news, and then I fix dinner. No deadlines, no appointments, no interruptions, I guess in a way it is bliss. But, I miss the interaction of my grandchildren ~sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very thought provoking post, Thankyou. An interesting world we are living in at present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely to see folk enjoying a slower pace of life.. Like you I get annoyed when folk don't stick to the rules. I've also enjoyed lots of me time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was lovely to see your photos of people out and about. I am sorry for how lonely this world has been for so many people. It is lucky you have PH. I do pretty well in isolation for a little while, but too long is not good for most people.

    Michigan is really closed til Christmas? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos really tell a story about co-vid.

    ReplyDelete