Sunday, June 7, 2020

ZoomZoom!

     The Great Pause gave us all great pause in the way we do things. We either had to adapt, adjust or do without. I know I did all of the above at one time or another.  I grumbled occasionally that concerts presented virtually weren't the same. No amount of "but...but..." was going to convince me.  Kids viewing their classroom friends and teachers on Zoom, well, it just wasn't the same and after signing off this new way of learning sometimes left Adelaide in tears.   PH holding commission meetings on Zoom wasn't the same.  Nothing is the same during this Great Pause.

     But sometimes doing the virtual thing is the BEST way.  I'm a convert through and through after this weekend's

 


     When I signed on to Chooky's chookshed stitch party it was about 6 p.m. Friday here but 8 a.m. the next day in Australia.  There were I think 16 people stitching, chatting, sipping morning coffee, for pete's sake, Jo had just woken up, was still in bed, but already talking to us! 
       I was able to put a face to a name, hear voices, accents, laughter, as we spent time together.  Just like our quilt retreats here but without leaving home.  That, for me, was the stitch (so to speak ) because it was too easy to get caught up in chores, running an errand, even eventually on Saturday, cooking dinner and inviting a friend over for an impromtu porch-dinner. I stuck with the group till about midnight Friday night and while I was in my jammies and sitting in bed - just where we found Jo that morning! - they were all in the middle of the afternoon and raring to go.  Sylvia joined in at 4 a.m. her time from Germany.  That is one dedicated stitcher or someone who has been to this virtual party in the past and wasn't going to miss a minute.  All told I think Chooky said there were over 30 people participating at various times during the weekend.
     Next year I will declare more of the weekend as sacred, have a new hand stitched project at my fingertips and pour more wine. 
      In the meantime there are a whole lot of new blogs I'll be reading. 


8 comments:

  1. It was you could join in with us. I'll be watching on as you make more butterflies for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you at the zoom party! oh well next time...we had been out all morning until just after lunch...spent a few lovely hours chatting and working on some scrappy hearts...until next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes zoom for some things is just not so good but omg us all meeting from around the world was amazing.... So exciting seeing and talking to all my friends I have only ever emailed and commented on blogs.....
    I don't know if I can wait a while year...... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a very special weekend. I too have some new blogs to keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fabulous to sit chat, stitch , put faces to names and meet new ladies from all over the world , what fun we on Zoom thanks to Chooky.....
    And now I have new blogs to follow too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise, I thought you were the cutest lady EVER! It was a joy to meet you and get to know you!

    I love the photo of you on the deck in such a beautiful setting looking at your zoom screen. I am excited to check out your blog and become a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got to join in and catch up with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great to "meet" you Denise, and I have spent so much more time on the computer since, reading blogs and making new friends.

    ReplyDelete