Friday, April 21, 2023

Sally's Pieces

 At our retreat a couple of weeks ago Friend Sally brought me a gift.  She purges her stuff occasionally and this time I was the recipient of her Aunt Grace blocks.  She knows I love the 30's look fabric and I was thrilled to get this bonus.  It's a bonus because look at these - she did all the work! The cutting, sewing the blocks and then she gave them away!

When I got them home I looked at my treasure.  There was this medallion with three extra flower blocks.
And then these blocks, and a good pile of smaller 9 patch blocks.

And this pile of 9 patches that are smaller and not all Aunt Grace. There was also pile of fabric that wasn't cut up but will make grea sashing for the idea I have in mind.

In the middle of the night I started to think of how to use them all in one piece. As of now I'm thinking the medallion in the center, surrounded by the pieced blocks, adding in the three spare flower blocks, then surrounding all of that in a border of the larger 9 patch (by large I mean 3.5 inches finished.)  

The crappy smaller 9 patches will be for another day, another top.

When I layed that all out on a bed it looked nice but for now they are all gathered together in a pile for another day.  Like I said, Friend Sally did all of the work.  I just need to put them together.  

I have been the recipient of Sally's purging in the past and never take it for granted.  Thank you, Sally!

4 comments:

  1. How fun! So many possibilities. Sally was very generous but as we quilters know. . . sometimes you just want to be done with a project and the choice is to work on it madly or give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift for you! Thirties prints are so cheerful, and I love them on our beds in the spring. I can't wait to see the creations you have in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Denice! Busy busy hands you have and beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Sally... you know you have given it to someone who will get it done and do it well. can't wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete