Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Ice cream and circles

 I like ice cream.  I love ice cream. I have a friend who says she only eats it in the summer. What??!!??  

We had a meeting last weekend and  wanted to make it special for the people attending so who do you call?  

The ice cream man!  When this truck pulled up the elders in our group all ran to have their photos taken with John and his truck and told stories of how they stole chips of ice from the milk trucks when they were kids.  We all had milkman stories. 
Our ice cream man didn't drive a milk truck for a living, he is a retired teacher who  fixed up an old truck and now makes ice cream. Occasionally he will make a batch of vanilla and attend your  party.  He's fussy about who he does this for because he is retired, after all, and  only wants to do this for fun but we were the library and the library always gets respect, doesn't it?  And ice cream.
John brought everything we would need, chocolate, caramel, strawberries, sprinkles, cups, spoons and even maple syrup.  I've never had maple syrup on my ice cream before but I will now!  I'm imagining it lightly drizzled over buttered pecan.

                      All we had to do was line up!  This sure beat a platter of cheese and crackers! 


Why do we seem to save our favorite and special fabrics because we don't want to use them?  I'm working to get past that. I've said before that when I die my kids would rather have the quilt that a pile of fabric. So.  Friend  Barb  and I are working on a quilt of circles using Liberty of London fabrics.  I  already cut for a flying geese quilt so I had  pieces that  would  fit  3 inch circles.  We both purchased some fat 16ths for variety and started cutting.

I chose neutrals with a bit of a pattern but not much.  I  added in some creams with the greys because some of my Liberty will read white. 


  Over  300 circles. Liberty Tana Lawn is so fine this pile doesn't look like over  300 but it is.  I took Barb's advice and purchased a thread that will disappear in the turn under but it's like sewing with angel hair and I'm having a bit of a time getting used to that.  After this normal thread will feel like  stitching with  yarn.

I have a few done, not many, but it is mindless sewing so good for TV watching.  Barb works faster than I do so we agreed this is no race.  

Speaking of race, the churn dash quilt is pinned and waiting for my mojo to kick in. I let it sit for awhile before deciding to  do big stitch quilting on it.


7 comments:

  1. The ice cream man story brought back a lot of memories. My childhood milkman was called "Fox". Don't know why but it was kind of confusing to a young child - ha! The Liberty circles are going to be beautiful. Such lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to see this one finished. Oh and your ice cream man ,it's wonderful ,like stepping back in time..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh have lucky were your ladies and you to have John the Ice Cream Man came....
    Lovely Liberty you're using for the quilt. I see some kangaroos on some of the fabric....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate and nuts on top please.....
    The liberty circles are going to look great......

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have the ice cream truck visit. I spy bees on one of your background squares , your circles are beautiful colours. Love your description of sewing with angel hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea to have the icecream man visit, and your circles will look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of the ice cream truck!
    Your Liberty Circles quilt will be wonderful. Tempting idea, but after getting my 36 GFG blocks appliqued down a couple of years ago, and getting that quilt finished off, it will be a long while before I choose to tackle applique again! :)

    ReplyDelete