Saturday, April 16, 2022

Easter Eggs

 It's Easter and that means it's time for deviled eggs.

How do you like your eggs?  If you ever go out for breakfast with me you're well aware I don't like goo. No runny yolks.  No sunny side up, no poached, no scrambled, no soft boiled.  I tell the waitress to tell the cook to "step on it and if you think it's cooked, cook it some more." A hard boiled egg for me has to be just that. Hard boiled.  And eaten hot out of the pan. No cold hard boiled eggs for me.  If it goes cold I pop it in the microwave for a second or two to take the chill off.

How do you cook your hard boiled eggs?  Holy cow, it's like politics and religion, everyone has an opinion. 

So, when it's time to make  deviled eggs for Easter it's almost stressful.  I know it's best if you use "old" eggs, not the ones you just stole from the girls out in the coop. This way, they say, the egg pulls away from the shell a bit and makes them easier to peel.   If you say so.

This photo isn't foggy, that's steam coming off a freshly peeled test egg.


 Our family likes the basic, no mayonnaise but something here called Miracle Whip. It's sweeter. And yellow mustard.  None of that fussy Dijon stuff.  A splash of Tabasco sauce, a little salt and pepper, a wisp of paprika at the end.  That's it.  Don't fuss with it or no one will eat them. I did recently discover Japanese mayonnaise and while it's ridiculously expensive for mayo, it's absolutely the most delicious mayo I've ever had, even better than Duke's.  So I'm going to mix a little bit of that into a very few eggs for son-in-law to test.

  We have big deviled egg eaters in this group.  There are never enough deviled eggs.  I'm always glad to see the platter emptied, I don't want leftovers because I certainly don't eat them.

7 comments:

  1. We have the Mayonnaise/Miracle Whip debate around here too. I am a mayo girl and my husband is a Miracle Whip fan. So when I make sandwiches, he get what he likes and I get what I like. There are two things that cross the line; potato salad has to be made with mayo and deviled eggs have to have Miracle Whip. Enjoy your Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your gal of my own heart... HARD yolks... I tell the cook to make my egg like rubber.
    No Mayo or anything fancy just an egg.
    Happy Easter..

    ReplyDelete
  3. No deviled eggs for me, I love a warm egg with runny yolk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my eggs cooked all the way through, too. But I do like scrambled eggs--I just like them all the way cooked. No wet scrambled eggs for me!!
    And I do not have Miracle Whip in my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me it has to be a hard hard egg and no fried or poached eggs for me. But i do love deviled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG around like Jenny wrote that first paragraph..... She's so fussy with her eggs just like you ..... Me give me eggs anyway you like so long as the white is cooked I'm happy.....

    ReplyDelete