Monday, March 14, 2022

New Stuff

 Last spring Lori over at Humble Quilts put out a challenge to remake an old orphan block. I was  a part of her mini quilt exchange last winter and thought this would be a breeze - after all, someone already made the block, right?

About 45 years ago I went to the Shipshewana, Indiana flea market and an elderly gentleman had a shoe box of quilt squares for sale.  The entire box was marked $2.00 and even factoring in inflation, it was a good deal.  Now, HE put the price on them but as I paid my  $2. he said, "my wife is going to kill me."  There were two designs.  This one I never did anything with because they were hopelessly wonky and frankly, I have enough to do with blocks that AREN'T wonky.  These looked hopeless and there were a lot of them.  When Lori put forth her challenge (and we had a year to do it, this isn't due till May 30) I knew these pink things would be what I would tackle.  We only had to do one, it was supposed to be mini. We could do ANYTHING with the old block.

So this is what I did.  I started by taking the outer row of HSTs off and ironed the daylights out of it then auditioned many possibilities for a surround but everytime I tossed something black onto the square it just said "yes."  So now to send photos off to Lori and cross this one off the list.


Each Spring the Friends of the Library (to which I belong) and the Museum (to which I belong) collaborate on a spring tea/speaker presentation.  Real tea cups, real tea, real cookies, a real speaker who presents on a topic related to the area and to women's history month.    We really weren't  sure BOC (Because Of Covid) if the doors would be opened and no one would come or we would be stampeded.  Well, it wasn't a stampede but the most we've ever hosted was 42 people and for this we had 58!  Everyone listened to a very interesting presentation while knoshing on so many cookie varieties we didn't have room on the platters.  Myself and two helpers did all of the baking. I mean, come on, would I serve a store bought cookie???

 

 

5 comments:

  1. You did a great job of redoing the wonky block.
    A very successful GTG with delicious cookies and real tea….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your remake of the wonky block is fantastic Denice. Your gathering went very well, also very special to have home made biscuits (cookies) 🙂🙃

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lover resurrection of the orphan block. That is so much better than a wonky block hidden away. I’m glad your afternoon tea was a success. The table looked beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You old block looks a lot better than it started off for sure.That one has a life now . I love that the spring tea used real tea cups we don't use them often enough and I know I wish
    I was there for your baking Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your remake of that block is fantastic, and looks like an interesting day with yummy bikkies

    ReplyDelete