Thursday, December 16, 2021

Pillow Talk

 Once upon a time so very long ago I learned to needlepoint.  I've been trying to remember when, if it was before or after I learned counted cross-stitch.  There are dates on the cross-stitch projects from the early 1980's so I'm thinking that needlepoint came first as I have one piece dated 1977.   Doing something creative with my hands has always been necessary and I clearly remember the needlepoint lessons.  I'm thinking they were at least 45 years ago.

 Well, recently while looking for something I unearthed these three unfinished pieces.  I remember thinking way back then that they would be framed and that's as far as they got.  Tucked away neatly they've been moved and moved and moved from one project box to another.  Until now.  I am seriously looking at a lot of things lately and thinking "WHAT are you waiting for???"  So I made pillows.

The blue in this one doesn't show as well as the green in the photo but the blue is the exact color of the fabric.  Please notice this person who is allergic to sewing machines put a fringe on this one.  There is a friend here in town who dabbles in antiques and often gives me pieces she pulls out of HER closets.  This fringe came off a bedspread but I didn't care.  I knew I'd use it. There's plenty more!
She also gave me the fabric I used for the school house pillow.  I've used it in SO many things and I think it works well here.  It's a chintz and I think the 1940's?
Remember the pineapple days of the 70's?  That's partly how I know how old these needlepoint pieces are.  I was into pineapple motifs in our first house.  Another local friend gave me a big piece of this yellow rose fabric and I thought it worked with this.  

The pillows are nothing fancy, no piping, etc., but they ARE  out of the box and into the light. Finally.
 

7 comments:

  1. Your needlepoint is lovely. The pillows are great paired up with vintage fabric and fringe. I did needlepoint in the 70's too. I have a sampler piece that was supposed to have been made into a pillow dated 1975. And yes, it has moved from box to box and from house to house ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A finish from so long ago feels so good, well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done making the long term projects into lovely pillows.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful finishes and they all look great! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely work.......good to have them finished into something.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Denice they are so lovely. It is nice to really finish things

    ReplyDelete