Friday, January 6, 2012

Until today

Years ago I took my first quilt class to prove to myself I wouldn't like it. I thought it seemed like a very slow process. Too intricate. Too mathematical. Well, surprise, surprise, I found I loved every part of the process. Every bit of it. Until today.....


Today I realized there is one part of the process I really don't like.

Pinning.


I don't mind the bent over back. I don't mind the carefullness. Until I think of some other way to get those layers together, I will pin.
But I do hate what it does to my fingers. Am I missing something here? Is this really how we all look after we've pinned? Or am I being incredibly dimwitted and just don't know there is another way? Has someone not invented another way? Something that doesn't involve a load of lumber in the garage or paying someone to longarm baste? Is this the price we have to pay for enjoying the rest of it? Ouch.


























































2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Did you ever look at the way Sharon Schamber does it. Check out her site. She uses boards and bastes instead of using pins. I like that for smaller pieces. Haven't tried it on a larger one yet, but plan to. Looks like it is a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting at Hobart airport waiting for my flight home at the moment and just saw your poor sore finger and thumb ! Are you using the bent quilting pins, they don't give you the sore fingers or you can just hand baste your quilt , I can get you pins if you don't know them! Happy new year to you and yours !

    ReplyDelete