Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunny day

Years ago when I worked in a bookstore a fellow employee bought cookbooks by the armful. She said if she found just two recipes she would actually make, it was worth the price of the book. That's way too much shelf space given over to one genre in my house. I love to read cookbooks. I love watching the cooking channel on TV. But for me to spend a lot of money on a particular cookbook, well, it has to be special.
In the store I couldn't put this one down. Each page I turned I thought..."oooh. I have to make that." "This is one I'd love to try." "I've always wanted to learn how to do that." Going by the standards of my bookstore friend, this one would pay for itself in a week. I decided I could cook my way through this book.


So I bought it.

This morning I made the currant scones. I substituted dried cranberries for the currants. I believe in substitutions that don't hurt the whole. I also didn't cut them into rounds. Hers were so pretty on the page, but I sliced mine so there was absolutely no waste. These are flaky and light and moist and I ate one straight out of the oven with a tinch of butter that melted into the folds. What a way to start the day!





No comments:

Post a Comment