Friday, July 1, 2011

A few days away

The yo-yos are coming! This week I started making y0-yos for a far in the future project (far because I need 409 of them.) I sat by a campfire for a couple of days gathering circles of fabric from two different sizes. The big ones are for the 409 project, the smaller ones are there because I couldn't bear to throw away a piece of fabric (OR put it back in the drawer!) if there was room on it for a smaller yo-yo. So, as I gather and tie, I'm making two sizes. They're cute and they smell of woodsmoke.
Patient Husband and I drove north to the lake where his family spent their summers. We planned on a couple of days with his brother and our sister-in-law. On day one, we visited Hartwick Pines, a preserve of old growth pine forest that is stunningly beautiful and one of two old growth stands of pine left in Michigan. There are trees in here that age out at 350 years.


Some of the trees fell during a storm last fall and while they usually leave the trees where they fall, so many of them toppled with this storm that some had to be sawn into manageable chunks. This one caught my eye. One down, one to come someday.


I told you his name is Patient Husband for a reason! We found in a nearby town this absolutely charming and delicious 50's diner. If you are ever near Grayling, Michigan, this place is a must.
The food was delicious and the chocolate malt was thick, thick, thick. We left with big smiles on our faces.


Absolutely wall to wall, ceiling to floor Coca-cola memorabilia. I saw this date on a calender and had to share it...it's the birthday of our son.

But check out this wall! It was even longer than this picture shows! Every inch was dedicated to Coca-cola memorabilia. You could stare at this stuff all afternoon. But we didn't because he then took me to a quilt shop! He's so good to me!

The next couple of days were spent enjoying Higgins Lake in all it's beauty. Got a bit sun burnt, though.













1 comment:

  1. my birthday is on the 10th of august and i have twin niece and nephew born on the 12th! the diner looks very interesting and your patient, loving husband looks as though he is pleased with his tray, very yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete