Truly, there isn't. I can't remember not reading. I do remember going to the library as a child but remember even more when I bought my first book to own. Over the many years of my life I've bought, shelved, saved, donated, gifted and read thousands of books. One of my life regrets is not keeping a reading journal or at least a list.
We have a finite amount of money in our lives and I believe we choose how to spend our money. Some will go to the beauty parlor every few weeks and have their hair colored. Some don't. I've let nature take its course on that one but I DO buy books.
At Christmas when all the wrappings are bagged up I have in my hand a stack of gift cards for bookstores. I can and do shop whenever I want all year. I love it immensely. Do I NEED more books? Well. Silly question. I never go anywhere, never leave the house without a book no matter where I'm going. Ever.
It is a lot of fun to go to used book sales occasionally because there is always a treasure or forgotten early book by an author I like. Recently I met a bloggerland friend who, it turns out, lives within an hour of me. It was fun to finally set a date and meet up. Where did we go? A used book sale. Not a quilt store. She is a voracious reader, too, so a used book sale was a natural. It's nice to do something like that, pass along something you've read that really was memorable to a new friend. Learn about someone's technique for buying at a used sale and we differed greatly but that meant I was shown things I might not have picked up and vice versa.
Saturday I went to yet another used book sale with three other friends who also are voracious readers. Two of them find books like I do, favorite authors, favorite genres, so there was a lot of "did you read this?" This sale was held by a man who gives definition to book buying. Can you imagine lifting these boxes of books?
This time, since I've done some heavy buying of books lately, I hovered in the children's picture book section looking for some things appropriate for the activity I'm going to do at the museum with preschoolers.
So, now the question is how to spend my time - since I've spent my money! Do I quilt or read? Like money, there is a finite amount of time left in my hour glass.

I hope you found some fabulous books to read to the pre-schoolers.
ReplyDelete