Thursday, July 11, 2024

Lesson Learned

 Do you prewash? I will have to admit to the Quilt Police that I don't often. Just sometimes and I don't know why I don't.  Do I like the feel of new fabric?  Do I not want to take the time?  I can't say it's because I can't wait to cut into it and use it.  Some of the fabric in my stash is decades old.  Who knows?

This morning I woke up thinking of Charlie's quilt and that dense, deep navy blue and that niggling in my brain telling me to prewash it.  I did and was stunned at the dye that came out of that navy.

Elizabeth's Baltimore Album will have a lot of red in it. She specifically said she wants red, green and yellow to predominate.  I pulled many, many reds out of the stash and put them on the thinking bed.  So, this morning I paid attention to the brain niggle and put them in the sink and ran hot water and I was horrified.


I know the rule is to wash reds but, head hanging, I admit I don't.  And look what happened!   The sinks looked like Kool Aid. One of the batiks ran dark orange to yellow. And I mean RAN.  I started with the batiks and as I was watching in horror I thought of how much I had already used on quilts.  
Holy cow.  When I die I am going to have to leave strict instructions with the recipients of these quilts to use BOXES of Color Catcher.   The water looked like a rag wash out after a nose bleed.    

Some of them even stained the sink!  Needless to say reds will always be washed after this.  And here I sit looking at some of the quilts I've made with red in them.   And no, I don't usually wash a quilt after it's been made.  Some people put that last stitch in and immediately wash it. While I like a crinkled look of a quilt that has been washed and scrunches up on itself, I like that clean, smooth look better. 

Yesterday the weather was iffy so I spent the afternoon forgoing the nap and instead thought I'd better get THIS pile off the thinking bed so I can devote myself to the Baltimore Album. People, when I say I am math challenged I am not kidding.  I can't do it till I can SEE it.  Forever and always I have been a "show me, don't tell me" person. If I can SEE it, I can DO it but don't try explaining it.  I can read the map but don't try to give me verbal directions. That sort of thing. 
With the Daffs I don't want a straight on setting, I want the diagonal look.  Well, like I told Friend Barb yesterday, my mind pretty much works up and down, but diagonal thoughts can make the circuits in my brain spark. 

I started the Baltimore Album quilt and I thought if I started with the Hamilton logo it would be the easiest.  Well.  Not.  I bought a batik for the star because batiks don't ravel and I needed to make those points without doing paper piecing.  But Hamilton was regular fabric and looks like a giraffe so he came off as soon as I put the last stitch in.  I will get a batik in mottled black for him.  And yes, I will wash that black first!

6 comments:

  1. I recognized the Hamilton fellow right away. I always pre-wash because I've had some staining (with brown and blue too) and I like the softness of the fabric better to hand quilt on. But, like you I don't wash it immediately after I quilt it. I like that crisp look for as long as it lasts. I do know that sometimes fabrics bleed not because the dye is unstable, but because it's is over dyed and it is getting rid of the abundance of dye. If you wash it a couple more times, the water usually comes out clear. The 2nd time I wash I use some blue Dawn too. I hope that helps. I had one piece of red yardage that just kept bleeding so I did wash that one with Retayne in hot water. It seemed to solve the problem and it's in a quilt top now. I still get nervous when I wash anything with red fabric in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are too hard on yourself, I recognised the Hamilton person too. I always use colour catchers with quilts now after a batik bled into a quilt. Haven't got myself to wash them first though - sigh!! I like your daffodil blocks - amazing the colour that came out of the reds!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your brain circuit journey and even giggled. Did you design that block? I thought I had read you were catering the Baltimore album to her.
    No, I don't prewaah. I, like you, love the crisp fabric look. I do wash my qiilts in Synthrapol IF they need washed. I took fabric dying classes years ago and learned about it. It releases all the dyes in the wash water and doesnt let them adhere to other fabrics in the wash. I highly recommend that you wash those fabrics in it then wash them in Retayne to permanently set the dye. You can order them at Dharma.com
    Since you are giving the quilt to someone who may wash it, I would prewash all the fabric 1st in Synthrapol then a second time in Retayne.
    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Previous message was me. Deana at dreamworthyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wash in water with salt to set the color

    ReplyDelete