Sunday, November 6, 2022

Things

Not a lot of stitching going on because other things are happening.   I commented once to some quilty friends that I can and do go for days, sometimes weeks without picking up a needle and then someone, bless her, said that is because I do other things.  It's true.  While I love cutting pieces of fabric into little pieces and putting them back together again it's my something but not my everything.  Reading, now not a day goes by without that happening.

We had a birthday, our Charlie turned 17 and wow.  We all went down for the day and celebrated with him by watching an Ohio State football game on TV.  Mike's bestie was with us and since those two are inseparable I told him he had to be in the cousin photo, too.
PH is on puzzle number 2 for the season. The first was too easy and done too quickly so I pulled this one out.  It's much more challenging so he likes it better.

Yesterday I coated 446 peppermint patties in chocolate....one by one.  I make the minty middle one day, stack them between cling wrap on a cookie sheet and put them in the fridge overnight to harden.  Next day I melt the chocolate and dip them one by one and put them on a sheet and into the fridge to harden for about 20 minutes each then into big containers separated by parchment between the layers so they stay nice. I took 4 hours for this step. But I was listening to an audio book, an easy one, so time went fast.

Elizabeth requested seafoam (sometimes called honeycomb.)  I made some to take to her on Halloween but the first batch was a puzzle.  I wasn't sure if it was what she and her dad remembered, it seemed too holey.  This is batch 2 and it came out just about the same but less chewy, more crunchy like I remember it.  After breaking it apart I covered it in chocolate and took it over for Halloween night buffet.  Well, they both declared it a winner and requested more for Christmas.  Daughter said I made the pieces too big, Son in law and Elizabeth said the big pieces were great.  My worry that it was too holey was put to rest when SIL said it was so good because it wasn't tight and condensed like you get in the stores.  When I make it for Christmas I will have Elizabeth here to learn how it's done.

Friday I finally could make Chooky's  zoom meeting with the world.  Sometimes the timing just doesn't work so I can't always make it.  But Friday I could for a couple of hours.   It's good to have a hand project to work on for zooms so I brought out my tin of Liberty circles, found a spot in the spare bedroom  and we chatted and worked.   I don't have the computer equipment others have, no lap top, just an iPad that I prop onto books till the height is right, drag over a lamp and sit in a too stiff chair.  Most everyone else is in their quilt room, some are in their recliners working on hand work, but it doesn't matter, if you can bring up their image and turn on the audio, it works. When the weather is good I'm outside on a porch but  those days are done till next year.

5 comments:

  1. My grandkids are growing up fast too. Our oldest grandson left for the MTC last Wednesday. I love the table you have for puzzling. Looking at the colors on the pieces make me think this is going to be a challenging puzzle for sure. Your candy making in wonderful - I'm so impressed. Nothing more than fudge gets made around here. I haven't joined up with Chooky as of yet. I'm afraid I wouldn't be much fun but it nice to hear about what the people around the world do. I would be the one with my head bent over my work not saying a word.
    My dad used to love honeycomb - nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That puzzle is so pretty! I love it! I would never pick that one though because it is all the same colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That honeycomb sure looks good, was sorry to miss last 2 zooms, maybe next time

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great photo of the kids and friend . I haven't cooked a thing i had better get into Christmas cookies this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pleased to be able to comment as I'm on my laptop.....
    Sorry to have missed Zoom but sometimes my time zone just doesn't work. I'm not as good as Sylvia at getting up at 4am.
    Both hubby and you need patient, Hubby with the puzzle and you dipping the chocolates.
    That honeycomb looks so good.

    ReplyDelete