Sunday, January 30, 2022

It's Birthday Time

 Goodness, it's been so long I almost forgot the steps to putting up a new post.  I've been working through a bit of a medical issue this month (not covid related) so just didn't have anything new to say.  

But now I do!

Yesterday we gathered, the eleven of us, for Mike's and my birthday lunch.  It was wonderful to be together in a place where none of us had to clean the house or cook.  It IS so nice to be the guest once in awhile and yesterday we were all the guest.  This restaurant gave us a separate room so we felt quite comfortable gathering just the family of us.
My chicks are not so little anymore.  I can't even spread my wings wide enough to gather them all in but I tried.
On my actual birthday I had a  surprise call from Donna in Australia - what a fun surprise visit THAT was! I was telling her about the cake we have just one day a year, my birthday, bought from a local bakery.  How do you describe a chocolate cake, especially a bakery cake?  It's just a chocolate cake, right?  I've had some really good home baked chocolate cakes in my life, it's hard to say any chocolate cake isn't good but this one is specially good just once a year.
This is what I've been plugging along with this month.  It's not much but I couldn't do much and so this simple something that should have taken just a week to hand quilt has taken all of a month.  I am determined to finish the last two of these plates today so I can bind it and be done.  I think I can do it.I'll put on my cold, cold winter DVD movie and settle in. 

This is my winter, blizzard, cold, snowy movie.  I watch it once a year during the coldest, snowiest day because it takes place in Malaysia and Australia's outback and is five hours long. Forever and years it's only been available on VHS and so I've dragged our VHS player along with us on every move - specifically for this movie.  It's my absolute favorite and it has be available to me, thus the VHS player.  I looked and looked for years to see if it was ever going to be made into a DVD and this year I found it!  I was so excited I ordered it, got it the next day and put it in to watch immediately.  I'll do it again today just because I can! 

It's cold, cold, cold here and they promise a messy week but we've been spared the behemoth storm the East Coast is getting so we will be thankful all we are putting up with is the cold. 

7 comments:

  1. I've never seen A town like Alice but I sure loved the book. I'm so glad you found the DVD. That cake looks pretty yummy. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen that movie, although do know of it. Happy belated birthday to you, and hope your health issues are improving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased you are feeling better.
    Lovely to have been able to celebrate your birthdays with the family.
    How special that Donna rang you.
    You sure have the perfect movie to watch to keep you warm.
    Great it come out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness i haven't seen that movie in years. Nice to know it is on dvd now. Happy Birthday. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't watched that movie for a long time! Interesting how certain films become special to us. I have some I watch over and over. Happy birthday! Lovely you could gather the family and go out together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday. It was so nice that you could all gather in the restaurant. Your Dresden plate quilt is so pretty. I’m looking forward to seeing it completed. Gosh, I remember when A Town Like Alice was first released. I loved it. I haven’t seen it since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed your birthday call..... It was fun..... The cake looks amazing as usual...... So pleased you got to gather together.....
    I loved a town like Alice.......They showed it as a mini series here over 3-4 nights....I am pretty sure I have the book.....

    ReplyDelete