Monday, October 25, 2021

Lost and Found

 Have you ever put something somewhere, can see exactly in your mind's eye where but when you went for it, there was no sign of it anywhere?  Did that then mean you took apart your whole stash while looking for it?  And did you find it then?  I thought not, but at least my stash is more organized now.  That was a project a couple of weeks ago.  I was looking for these three embroidered pieces and knew exactly how I stored them, where I put them, even had my hands on them a few months ago.  But no, I couldn't find them.

 I kept my mom busy for a long time embroidering for me.  She loved embroidering, I took advantage of her eyesight while she had it, and she liked the projects.  She had gone through the whole family with tablecloths, pillow cases, table runners, so this was different for her.

I stored them thinking they would be a center medallion for a couple of quilts so stored them on a roll for many years.  Then I decided I didn't need to make them a centerpiece for a whole quilt.  A small hanging piece would be just fine.  And the small piece wouldn't get the wear and tear of a quilt.  So, I went looking for them.  And they were hiding well.  But I found them, bordered them and am now getting them ready to hand quilt.

It's a very dark day here today, rainy, and yucky so finding a good window for the brightness isn't good but the lack of sunshine makes the colors here true. I love that the colors are reflected from the basket center.
I loved the fabric I used for this border and over time used it very sparingly and now it's almost all gone but for a very small piece. I thought it worked well with the pumpkin theme.  My mom embroidered the pumpkin and basket for Friend Marilyn, too.
This one hasn't been done yet but these are the colors I'll use.  I'm going to TRY a Friend Sally-ish very small checked border. I like the idea of that and hope I can pull it off.  

On this dark and dreary and rainy and cold day I think this is my task for the day.
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh Denice they are lovely. So glad you found them I know the feeling Haha! I'm sure they will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do that all the time!
    Beautiful embroideries! Especially like the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that all the time too. I am sure someone moves things in the sewing room!! The embroideries are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I recently tore apart my sewing room for something I knew I had recently put away in a very nice storage place. I came across it after I had given up finding it, while I was going after something else. ARGGGH!!
    You are making some very special treasures with your Mom's stitchings. Nice choices on the border fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that too, put things away so safely, they are safe from me too. LOL
    You have some lovely memories of time with your Mum there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful stitcheries and glad you found them, some days i spend far too long looking for things that I thought iknew where i put them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes I do that too but how nice to rediscover those treasures….

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you found them.......lovely to have work from your mum..........

    ReplyDelete