Thursday, August 12, 2021

More stuff

 It's not like we are tied to our blogs and I don't feel the pressure anymore to produce regularly but I've come to realize this is just as much a diary as connecting with friends from afar.  I love hearing from everyone and apologize for getting so far behind in replying to your posts but rest assured I AM reading them.

So for the past couple of weeks it's been like this.  Hot. Hot enough we turned on the air conditioner.  I have a thing about air conditioners - I am eternally grateful we have one but I hate using it.  For our long winter we are shut up behind closed doors and windows so the minute the overnight temperature reaches 40 degrees we start sleeping with the windows open a little and once we take off the socks the doors and windows are open during the day and wide open at night for the night air and bug noises. I have to have fresh air.   But we've had some intense heat and humidity the past 10 days or so and it's meant windows are closed and the air con is on.  Tomorrow they promise this heat will end.  There's been enough rain that everything is green and lush, very unusual for mid-August when normally it's all brown and tired looking.

Our Ceci had a birthday
I have joined the ranks of those needing a hearing aid.  Can you see the little extension cord going from inside, over the top of the ear to the receiver behind?  Yesterday wonderfully kind Friend Laurie said she couldn't see it even when I was touching it to show her.  Friend forever, she.
There has been some hand project prepping going on in anticipation of our upcoming retreat at the end of September.  We hope this new variant of Covid will abate enough so we can go but are prepared for being told we can't.  It will kill me but we all want to live till tomorrow don't we?  PH and I still mask when we go inside anywhere, we never stopped.  I know lock downs are now happening in Australia but here in America I am quite sure there would be anarchy if the government tried that again.  Instead they beg the naysayers to get vaccinated. And beg and beg and beg.

Our lovely Bob and Dodie were in town for a couple of days and we met on his 91st birthday for dinner.  When I told the waiter at the restaurant that we were being joined by a 91 year old birthday boy I am quite sure they didn't expect this coming in the door!  The waiter was so stunned with how young and vibrant Bob is he commented a couple of times and a man in the next booth came over to agree!  He and Dodie are so dear to us.

Peaches are here, blueberries are waning from peak and I had some of each so this morning I made some hand pies with two peaches, sliced them in half and put a half on a circle of dough, put another circle on top and baked them with blueberry turnovers.  They will cool and go in the freezer for future desserts with friends.  But dang they look good enough to eat!

There is also a new science project going on in the kitchen.  I'll document it if and when it works but it's getting close to being dealt with.  

We work the concert tonight at the Showboat so it's time to take a nap.  I asked PH if he ever wondered how much we would accomplish if we didn't take a nap and he said, "never."



7 comments:

  1. That is a very discreet hearing aid!
    Your 91 year old friend looks remarkably youthful. And the hand pies look yummy! Oh, how I miss a good pie crust, but the gluten free versions never measure up, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree a very youthful looking 91.
    Fingers crossed you get to go to your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am catching up on blog reading here too, we are just easing out of lockdown #6, we are in regional Vic so have a little more freedom, but who knows how long for! I couldn't see your hearing aide, your friend looks super good for 91! Lovely family photo, I hope you can get to go to your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the above. Fingers crossed for your retreat trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't see the hearing aid either, yummy pies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey D I agree you can barely notice that hearing aide I had to look twice as to why you had taken that photo. Wow Bob does not look 91 at all he looks amazing. Glad you enjoyed your catch up. Fingers crossed for the sewing retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do agree..... Our blogs are how we connect.....I hope you get your retreat but Delta is pretty persistent.....

    ReplyDelete