Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Tinkering

 

I've been tinkering with a few things lately.  It's amazing when you're stuck at home but don't feel like dusting what you can fill your time with. Truly, I am not a prolific quilter.  I don't use the machine if I can help it but sometimes I just have to do like I do when I fix the toaster.  Shut myself in a room, put in the earplugs and go it alone.  Maybe, just maybe, what I want a project to look like in the end actually will.

I saw a picture of a quilt made with strawberries done this way and thought it was a fun thing to do so I rummaged around my scraps, again bigger pieces saved for who knows what.  I knew I wouldn't want a whole quilt from this but if I liked it then I'd get a useable piece.  I downloaded a strawberry clip art I liked the shape of, took it to the library to enlarge it, laid the pattern out and cut.  Now I'm really anxious for strawberry season.  This really was easy peasy.
Years ago I bought this piece because I loved it.  Thank goodness I bought yardage of the houses and the blue flower print.  Everytime I looked at it I smiled but I just couldn't cut into it.  So yesterday I decided not to.  Again I rummaged around for something to put between the houses and the blue to break it up and found enough sweet green.  Now it's a panel top. 
I think to quilt it I'm going to outline the houses.  I can't wait to get my hands on this one.
 I finally got the squares cut for the granny square quilt.  I'm surprised at how fussy these little buggers are  to piece.  One down,
 
Twenty nine more to go!  These are all paired up ready to go.

In the evening I'm quilting the sheepbunny quilt.  Have I told you about the sheepbunny quilt?  I'm a blue person and when I saw this online I was very excited to do this quilt.  I got the pattern and cut them out and appliqued them, another easy peasy.  Well, one day I was describing the quilt to friends Barb, Sally and Marilyn at retreat and I described the critters as sheep.  But it wasn't until I got in the car and was describing them in detail to Marilyn and got to the ears that I realize, "OH!  They aren't sheep, they're bunnies!"  So I started calling it the sheepbunny quilt.  As I was going through my stash what did I find for sashing?  Sheep!  It was meant to be.
 
This one is upside down but you get the idea, I'm doing the cross hatch in the white, marking one row at a time and working on it in the evening while we watch TV.  

Someday I'll get the  house dusted.

5 comments:

  1. I love the colors in the Sheepbunny quilt. It is just so pleasing. The wholecloth quilt will be great. You'll have fun quilting that one. I have a piece of fabric that I think will end up like that - uncut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have been busy! love the quirkiness of your quilts Denice...those sheepbunnies are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your strawberries look great, and your sheep bunnies are so fun. Are you hand piecing your granny squares or machine??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your improv strawberries. That’s such enjoyable fun sewing. I’ve not heard of the granny square quilt ...your blocks are beauties. And Sheepbunny is very special as well. You keep very busy. Stay safe now and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the strawberries and I couldn't have cut up the gorgeous Hose and floral fabric...
    Perfect way you made it into a quilt.....

    ReplyDelete