Monday, November 4, 2019

Stitchin' stuff


     Checking in with projects.   I'm determined beyond all determination to use the fabric I have.  A trip to the quilt store is on an absolute needs only basis.  Like for batting.  So, with that in mind, I decided to stop hoarding the embroidery squares I had my mom work when she still had the eyesight to do it.  I think I've had these stored for about 10 years.  I'm starting to get to the age when I say to myself, "What are you saving that for?? The estate sale after you die???"

   So. These three quilts are for the grand girls at Christmas.  My mom did the embroidered squares and I put the quilts together for the girls. A little bit of Grandma love.   They are simple for two reasons:  I had to finish hand quilting three of them by Christmas (or well before) and I wanted the embroidery to be the focus.


 This one is for Ceci.  When she was born I enlarged a Sunbonnet Sue for her baby quilt so these Sues were a natural choice for her.

 The green one is for Elizabeth.  She likes quieter colors.  The embroidered pieces are tea pots and tea cups.  Theirs is a tea drinking family. 
    This one is Adelaide's.  She likes brighter colors.  Again, the tea pots and tea cups.  She is a huge tea lover.
    And, there are MORE embroidered squares in other designs to use in other projects. 


Have you ever noticed when you are trying to use up scraps that they never really go away?  Using scraps doesn't diminish your stash either, does it?  Using scraps sounds like a good idea but in reality, I can't see much depletion of the reserve.
 These strings were sewn onto batting when I didn't know any better, again, at least 8 years ago. Because I used batting for a foundation, I had a hard time trying to come to terms with backing them, quilting them and making a real quilt out of them.  Friend Dodie showed me how to do quilt-as-you-go but it's just been on the back burner so I've been moving these squares from one place to another, either in house moves or room moves.  I'm finally tired of moving them so last week I sat down with a pile of bigger scraps for backing and sewed (with the machine...ugh) a backing onto each of them and added a binding.  Now they're coasters or pot holders for a tea pot or a place to put that hot teapot down or whatever.  At least they are going to be used instead of moved.   I plan to hand them out to people everywhere I go.
 There are certainly enough of them!  I am turning the bindings while watching British mysteries in the evening.  We're hooked on those.



Sheepbunnies.  While on retreat and at a quilt shop (I know, I know...no shopping anymore) I was telling Friends Barb and Sally that I would consider a border fabric for the sheep squares I was working on.  When I described them to Friend Marilyn and I got to the part about their ears I realized they are bunnies, not sheep.   I knew that.  Really.
 Again, these are from scraps, big and small and blue.  Some still need their little sheepbunny tails stitched on.



Still with me?  Recently I sent to Friend Susan in Australia an envelope with maybe 300 or so yo-yos.  I had done a project with some 300 more and after realizing I was moving them from one storage place to another, from tote to jar to box I remembered Susan expressed an interest.  So, into an envelope they went, I walked it down to the post office and sent them on their way.    She was surprised (I do love surprises) and excited and happy with her windfall.
A couple of weeks later she threw down the gauntlet and challenged me to take on something that SHE had been staring at and moving from place to place in her sewing room. Here is my challenge from her.  I'm still thinking but ideas are starting to percolate.

You're all caught up now.  Phew!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh how busy have you been? I just love the girl's quilts. I hope they treasure their great grandma and grandmas work. I'm sure they will though. I think we all get to the age of paring down but i haven't started on fabric yet although i should. I just need to sew more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way I love the sheep bunnies.. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the quilts for the girls, they will be thrilled I'm sure....
    sheepbunnies! love them
    can't wait to see what you do with Susans challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golly gosh, I got tired just reading what you have been up to Denice! The quilts you made for the girls look absolutely beautiful and so full of love and meaning - I hope they like them when they receive them at Christmas. Hmm, love your sheepbunnies - almost sounds like the 'drop bears' we have here in Australia!! Yeah right!

    ReplyDelete