Monday, August 1, 2011

Favorite places

I read something today about favorite places to read and it got me wondering what your favorite place to read is like.
If it's daylight and not snowing I love the back porch. It isn't a fancy back porch, just a couple of places to sit and a table and chairs. Not decorated. Just a screened in back porch but it's my favorite non-snowing place to be. I have one special chair. I have birdsong. I have an iced tea (unsweetened decaf), maybe a few cookies.
Lately I've gotten comfortable on the front porch. That's for evening when the world starts to settle down and the sun starts to set. My lavender garden is out front and it's a bit of a distraction when I'm reading to keep my eyes on the page instead of the bees.
My special treat when I don't have to be up in the morning is to read late into the night...past midnight or 1 a.m. and for that I choose Patient Husband's chair, a pillow on the lap and lately, Lisa's cat at my feet (she's visiting for a couple of weeks.)
When I go away I take the Kindle, especially if I'm going to find myself eating alone. You don't have to prop the Kindle open with salt and pepper shakers or your key fob or wallet or tray or elbows.
So, I guess I have lots of places to read and the pattern seems to be, now that I look at it, sitting upright, not laying down. When I was younger reading in bed was the only way to go but I got so conditioned to falling asleep while reading that for a long, long time I couldn't read at all ANYWHERE without falling asleep. So I had to change that habit. Sit upright, have an iced tea nearby, a couple of cookies to keep awake, and peace and quiet.
That pile up there looks big and it is, and it's only part of the "waiting to be read" pile. I'm a slow reader and easily distracted and have other things to do.
So, where is your favorite place to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment