Sunday, March 27, 2011

Turn of Mind

I need to tell you about this book, Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante. I received an advance copy and immediately put aside the other two books I was reading to sink into this one. Let's begin by saying I don't read two books at once. I read one at a time and I'm a slow reader so while I am first and formost, a reader, I'm not one of those book a day people. I wish. The pile of books-to-read is high. To put aside the book I was holding and the one I was Kindling to start yet a third is unprecedented. Why then, did I do it? The first page.
This is the story of Dr. Jennifer White. She is a sixty-four year old surgeon with Alzheimer's. I don't know about the rest of you but there are only two words that strike fear into my heart. Cancer and Alzheimer. And cancer has treatments. So, while this is another book about a person in the throes of this disease, it's the first written in the patchy, disjunctive thought pattern of a patient. We feel, experience, the decline from the inside out.

Dr. White tells this story. She admits on page one she's "not that far gone, not yet." As we wander in and out of conscious reality with her the story unfolds. We learn her best friend, who lives three doors down, has been murdered, and Dr. White is the prime suspect. But in her current state of mind, what does she know? Can she be prosecuted if she doesn't even "know" her friend is dead? Why did she die the way she did?

The most frightening part of the book, for me, was its form. In part one she's pretty cogent yet. She still knew some people occasionally. She could carry on parts of a conversation on her good days. On good days she knew her son and daughter but didn't understand her friend was dead. On good days she knows what's happening to her. On bad days we start to get scared.

As the book progresses into parts 2,3 and 4, so does the disease. We are in her mind, we are in her thoughts. We know what it feels like, what is going to happen as she progressively doesn't. As the story grows and her mind degenerates, I can hardly stand thinking about it. I kept finding myself thinking, "How does the author know this is how it will be? How does medical science know? Please tell me it isn't going to be this way." The law continues to pursue her with questions about the night her friend died and we know from the circumstances it could only have been Dr. White. But there is just a tinge of doubt, just a tinge on our part. And we don't like her friend, Amanda. I couldn't figure out what Jennifer saw in her. Was it like that greeting card that says "you'll always be my friend because you know too much about me?" Amanda was not likeable, if she lived three doors from me I'd have moved.

I know, this is just as disjunctive a 'review' or reaction as Jennifer's thoughts. Maybe because I just finished it last night and it truly scared me.

This is one of those unforgettable books. This one tells you what it's like from the deep inside. One you'll read, you'll tell friends to read and buttonhole people to buy. God love them.

The back of the book places publication date in July of this year. Mark your calendars. There are certain authors who, when there is a new book coming from them, I am at the bookstore first thing in the morning, drumming my fingers on the counter waiting for them to unpack the boxes. This is one of those books.



On a lighter note: Snappyfriends


For this week the challenge was doors. Well, I couldn't resist the front door of this birdhouse outside the door of school. Are those sparrrows moving in or what? Perhaps they shouldn't have downsized? I stuck my finger into the front door and that house is packed to the rafters. I don't know if they'll fit one more twig inside but boy, they are trying hard! Very fun to watch them.


Last week's challenge was hard. It was light. I kept my eyes open but nothing came along till yesterday.

Last evening we got Patient Husband out of the house for some airing out. He had a little knee surgery on Thursday and was feeling like he needed an ice cream from our local dairy. So we drove first down to the beach to see if it was still there (!!!) after the long winter. Well, as we approached the sun was just brilliant and the reflection on the channel actually hurt our eyes. Light! This was one of those God moments of beauty that don't photograph well. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. Maybe we're just supposed to stop and enjoy it while it's there.

1 comment:

  1. i have just read 'still alice' on the same subject. will look out for this book.
    your turkey sounded good in the last post, glad you and your guests enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete