Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Preserve the bounty

Are you reaping the bounty?  Are you the proud owner of a sweet cherry tree?  Do you live near an orchard so you can go pick your own by the buckets full?  We do.  Live near an orchard, that is.  And last week when the girls were here we went picking and came home with buckets full.  It's really hard when you're in the element - trees, fat dark sweet cherries, birds, little girls - to stop picking and so you get a little carried away.  But then the girls went home and Patient Husband and I were left with our bucket full.  We ate and ate and then I went shopping on Pinterest for some ideas.  I found a couple that looked promising and this one at foodepix for a sweet cherry sauce seemed right.  I even happened to have all the ingredients on hand, including enough sweet cherries. 

So, this morning we went from this.....

 to this....and yes, I pitted them by hand, slicing them in half and scooping out the seeds.  It turned my fingers yucky but I wanted that half cherry look.

 It's a really simple recipe, and this was the gorgeous finished product.  It's really easy, the pitting is the most time consuming.

It's absolutely luscious.  I got two nice good pints and after it cooled in the jars I put it in the freezer.  If you're preserving, you need to preserve till January when a sweet cherry will taste even sweeter.  Truly, go visit the site:  foodepix and preserve some Sweet Cherry Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment