Thursday, February 11, 2016

And the Winner Is


 Strawberry!  Remember last week's stuffed turkey dinner and I said I made four different ice creams?
Those were Buttered Pecan, Blueberry, Lemon and as a last thought, this strawberry. Oh, my. I mean really.  It's a good thing Lent hadn't started, I'd be on my knees all month for this one.

I'm a substitution cook.  Generally I follow a recipe as given the first time but not always. I like to think of recipes as "suggestions."  If you cook a lot and know flavors, you can generally read a recipe and taste it.  If I don't have a listed ingredient I will substitute something else.
     This is my go to recipe for ice cream.  I like it because it doesn't contain eggs so it's a lighter tasting ice cream (the one I use for lemon ice cream is a bit different but not much.)  You can see I've also made it with peaches, apple butter, and now the strawberry.  And my big substitution is for the half and half.  I don't go out and buy a container of something I can do myself.  Half and half is just half cream and half milk so for that part of the recipe I make my own. Even if that isn't what Half and half technically is (it is) I'd still do that substitution.  I mean, why not?  Who cares?  Who is the ice cream monitor???

     In strawberry season I like to make up a small container or two of sliced, sugared berries to put in the freezer for this time of year when I want a taste of summer and hanker for a strawberry sundae.  I don't make freezer jam (or cooked jam) because I don't eat it much and Friend Marge gives us a jar of black raspberry jam for Christmas and it lasts a whole year for me.  PH doesn't eat it and I have some only occasionally.
     Last summer I made a small batch of freezer strawberry jam.  I don't know why.  I think the freezer jams taste so much closer to the actual fruit I guess I was just thinking I'd be hungry for some come winter.
      Last week I had enough whipping cream to make one last batch for the friends dinner Friday night and I thought of the frozen ice cream strawberries I usually have.  I dug through the freezer and couldn't find any, but there was one lonely little cup of freezer jam.  I looked at it and thought, "hmmmmm...." I knew it would taste truly strawberry-y and it was already sugared so the sweetness factor would be jumped up.  It was runny, as freezer jams are.   Hmmm.....
      I put it on the counter to thaw and when I ran the cream mixture through the ice cream freezer I opened the strawberry jam and dumped it in.  I stuck a spoon down into the mixture to taste and knew I had a winner.
      Our daughter loves strawberry ice cream and when the family came to help eat the turkey leftovers on Sunday I pulled out our four flavors.  She thought this one was over the top.  She said,
"This is what I want for my birthday.  No cake.  Just this."
      Of all the ice creams I've made this one is the clear winner.  

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Seriously one day I will turn up on your doorstep wanting to be fed! I too do a pretty great strawberry icecream, i use canned strawberries because they blended really well and were very sweet. I tried fresh strawberries but I just got frozen bullet type pieces that didn't hold their flavour. My recipie 3/4 cup whole milk, 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, 2/3 cup sugar....I do cut down the sugar a lot when using the canned fruit. And it's into the freezer after mixing in icecream maker for 20 mins or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My moth watered just reading this post.

    ReplyDelete