Friday, February 2, 2018

Summer in a Bottle

Yesterday as I was prepping for a dinner for friends I discovered way back on a top cupboard shelf the raspberry cordial we made last summer. This stuff is like heaven in February.  It's raspberry strong, summer strong, sweet and unforgettable.
  So, in the midst of slicing, dicing, chopping in preparation, I brought it out to strain for tonight.


PH and I each had a glass, it can't help but make us smile as we look out the window at snow.



Raspberry Cordial

2 quarts raspberries 
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 quart vodka

Heat the sugar and water in a pan until sugar is melted then cool.  (You don't want to put the hot syrup over the berries.)  
Put the berries in a large container, preferrably one with a wide opening.  Pour the cooled syrup and vodka over the berries, put a tight fitting cover on the container and store it in a dark place and forget about it for at least three months.  

Strain/funnel/however you can, but DON'T EAT THE BERRIES.  You'll get a straight alcohol overdose shot to the brain.  Trust me. 

How easy is that?  We make this in July and usually open it in November but this year it hid itself well and I just found it.  

I have also made this with blueberries and almost like it better.  Almost. When I say this out loud I get called out for it.  Cherries?




4 comments:

  1. sounds like yum! and how do you know not to eat the raspberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful......do you use the raspberries at all? Blueberry cordial sounds like something I will have to attempt at some stage seeing as we have a few bushes at the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better not drive after that cordial!! Rained here for 2 days ... Yeah! Cordial here is for kids... may be not that one ??? Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete