Friday, January 26, 2018

Sammy, Sally and Caroline, Too

I have two - count them, 1-2, TWO, finishes for January!  And we were gone for ten days besides!  I am taking to heart the "finish one for every new one you start" idea, but then, don't hold my feet to the coals for that, either.  We'll see what February brings.
 This is for Sammy and it's on its way to him in the mail.  I like the fabric storybooks - I take them apart and use them as a quilt.  This is the Golden Book story of The Poky Little Puppy.   We've known Sammy's mommy since she was three years old. She was pretty much our daughter's first friend in life. Unless she reads this blog, she doesn't know this is coming.
 This is the back

 I don't over quilt these storybook quilts.  I want them cuddle soft.  I expect these to be used with a healthy dash of sippy cups and cheerios. 
 Remember Sally?   Well, I had enough batting, found something for the background and pinned it,  when I finished Sammy's quilt I took it out as a possible finish.  The evening I started it I found it stitched up very smoothly and quickly - lucky me - so when we came back from our trip I finished it.
Making up those scrappy bindings a few months ago has been very nice.  I've reached into the jar and pulled out finished bindings three times now.
 The stitching is also loose.  I just made a cross in each square with a variegated blue perle cotton.
 I'm excited that Sally is finished now, too.



Our friend Caroline in Phoenix is a quilter, too. 
 This is the wall hanging that greets you when you walk into her sewing room.  Me being in my bee mode right now I thought it was really fun and cheerful.
 This is behind her sewing machine so she can look at it all day long.
 When Caroline was in her bag mode she made these two.

 These are two unfinished projects. A little wonky log cabin, and
 and almost a quilt for the bed in the guest room.




4 comments:

  1. I really like that Sally quilt......did I tell you my sisters name is Sally? I think your quilting is ideal, especially for a child, you want a quilt to be used, dragged across the floor, scrunched up under a chin, draped over chairs to make a tent....rolled over and crawled under....I personally think quilts deserved to be used....a lot! But then there are quilts that I make that will only be placed on a bed, or hung on a wall.....😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline's projects are very nice. Looking like a bargello for her guest room is it?
    I think many of us grew up on Golden books so lovely to see it finished. I am sure Sammy will love it. I love the backing on Sally, contrasts her neat little squares on the top. You have done well with the finishes D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great finishes.........Love a nine patch........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denice wow awesome finishes my friend and Sammy is going to love his new quilt xx

    ReplyDelete