Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Old Things

I like old things.  I won't lie and say that I haven't wished our house was furnished like a furniture store showroom with everything matching and coordinated, but I really think I'd miss our look.
Quilts are the same.  I have many that I've made and so,  new, but the old ones really draw my eye.  There's a story behind every quilt and it's the old ones that make you think.  Look at the colors, the patterns in the fabrics, was it machine or hand stitched?  Why is there just a top and why wasn't it finished? Why was it in a garage sale or estate sale, unwanted by the family?  How could someone's mother or aunt or grandmother or great-grandmother have made something that the family didn't want? 
Friend Marilyn found this quilt top in a garage sale and I loved it immediately. She wasn't so very enamored with it that she wanted to finish it herself so she brought it with her to events where quilting was being demonstrated and let the visitors at the event work in it to get the feel of quilting.
 Even the children



Eventually, Friend Marilyn's cats decided this was a good quilt for them.  She cut out the worst of it and gave the best of it to me since I've always loved it.  It's not a huge piece, but it's big enough for a lap or a baby's nap.  I'm not going to take out the stitches the children put in but I will go around their work to just make the stitching more solid. It's all part of the story.




On a spring note, the windows are open (and a few were even washed) and I made the cruschiki for Easter, the fryer out on the porch so the fry smell doesn't take over the whole house. 
Our Busia always made cruschiki for Easter and so I do, too.

5 comments:

  1. That is so cute letting the children quilt. What a great idea. That cruschiki looks good. I can see why you like that quilt. I love old things and like you am comfortable with my mismatched old things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love touching old quilts and feeling a connection with all that have made things before us. It must be the story teller/reader in you that wants to know the back story. What a lovely thing to be gifted on to you, someone who will keep its story going on.... a lot like the tradition of your cooking ......there is comfort in old rituals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stories that accompany old and well loved things too. I haven't heard of the dish you were cooking. Glad Spring has found you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story of the quilt.I think we all dream of everything new and showroom in our house but it wouldn't be home would it? Yours is so beautiful, homely, cosy and eclectic just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete