Saturday, May 9, 2015

Fika, The Art of the Swedish Coffee Break with Recipes for Pastries, Breads and other Treats






Fika, The Art of the Swedish Coffee Break with Recipes for Pastries, Breads and other Treats by Anna Brones and Johanna Kindvall


I don’t drink coffee but the subtitle intrigued me so when offered this book by Blogging for Books I took a chance.  And what a yummy decision that turned out to be!  

Apparently the Swedish tradition is a twice a day coffee break that must be accompanied by something sweet.  It doesn’t matter where or with whom the coffee break is spent, but it must accompany a treat. That’s what makes it Fika.  Coffee WITH something to eat.

I do believe if you are going to review  a cookbook you should make something from it.  In a previous book I made a whole meal but I surely couldn’t bake and eat some or lots or all of the goodies in this book. So, I chose something I was suspicious of.  Havreflarn med Choklad (Oat Crisp Chocolate Sandwich Cookies.)  I was suspicious because I expected the oat crisps to soften and become mooshy after spread with the chocolate filling and thus the oat cookie couldn’t be considered “crisp.” 

The recipe was very simple. Oats, butter, sugar, a tiny bit of flour, baking soda, egg.  The cookies spread out quite a bit and I think when I make them again I will make them much, much smaller.  These spread out to a small saucer size.  But they stayed crisp through their cooling, through the chocolate layer spread and the sandwiching of another cookie on top and they were still crisp the next day.  Winner!

Really, I can’t wait to try many more of the recipes in this book and will keep it close at hand on the shelf.  This one is a winner.


No comments:

Post a Comment