Monday, March 25, 2024

Twelve Inch Square

 Over at The Polka Dot Chicken the other day I saw a quilt that really hit me. Go over to Carol's post and look at it.   I don't know if it's because we were staring down a cold snap after a beautifully balmy porch sitting week or that I've never made a yellow quilt or whatever the reason, everything about it just said 'yes!'  I saw daffodils, I saw sunshine, and after enlarging a square and staring at it I saw the pattern. 


   Now, I'm severely math challenged.  I can barely count my change. If left alone without interruption I can fix the toaster but I need a padded room to work out math.  This, though, I could draft.  I didn't know what Carol's pattern measured out to but I drafted a 12 x 12 finished square.  I can do that kind of math.
   I asked Carol in her comments how big her square is and she said in the post I'm sending you to that her squares measure 8.5 unfinished.  You can see more of the quilt if you go to a couple of the older posts.
   Hmmmm...are my 12 inch blocks going to be too big?  I am looking at using my stash so the bigger block will use more fabric.   Now, of course, I am second guessing myself. 
   Yesterday we had Daughter and family here for dinner.  Elizabeth is a very smart young lady and very good at detail and math.  I thought I would ask her to draft the 12 inch pattern down to an 8 inch because I could NEVER do THAT math.  

Kidding, I said, "Elizabeth, can you use your advanced trigonometry skills and make this twelve inch pattern into an 8 inch?  

     When she tried to explain her calculations to me I said, "is that the sign for square root???"  

     "Yes," she said, "and this is the hypotenuse of the triangle and..."   I know I looked like a deer in the headlights.  I thanked her profusely and told her I'd go with the twelve inch square.

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you Denice and go with the 12" square too. Math do my head in...
    look forward to seeing your progress with your blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love drafting blocks, but my mom taught me many years ago (well before the plethora of books we have now and before the internet!), but I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. So of course I clicked through to see what you were working on and saw something that will make things easier. Her block is just the yellow flower, not the green leaves. The leaves are in the sashing. So what you drafted, taking only the yellow flower, IS the 8" block! And if you use 2" (finished) sashings, you'll have her quilt exactly! It's a beautiful quilt (translated: no, Katie, you don't need another project!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks to me like you know the Pythagorean Theorem. How can you say you don't know math?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to look great...... Wished I read this earlier I could have told you what to cut for the smaller block.......

    ReplyDelete