Thursday, March 14, 2024

Chookshed Challenge Number 4 Half Finish

 Half month, half finish, this is my number 4.  I am not sure how much farther I am going to get with this, if anything it might be layered and pinned but we'll see. I was just so happy to get this far I whipped it off the machine and onto the floor for a photo.  Not ironed yet.  Don't look too closely at the placement of the patches.  I thought I did pretty well till I got it finished and looked at it.  Isn't that when just everything wrong shows up?  I don't care, it's a finish.  Also not thinking I'm going to border it.  When I get it ironed I'll decide.


I used the stack of already put together nine patches I inherited from Friend Sally and there are STILL more left.  It's a bit like dealing with the loaves and fishes.  The more I use the more there are. I used these in TWO quilts now and I have no idea what to do with these.  Pillows?  
While rummaging around my project pile I found these Dresden plates I put together last summer, again the petals were all cut and part of the 30s stash from Sally.  I sat on the front porch last September and put them together into plates with my crank sewing machine.  My plan was to do all of them in yellow and make daisies out of them.  There weren't enough to do the whole thing in daisies but too many to separate them well.  Upon looking at them closely many of the yellows are combinations of yellows to make a full plate/flower.  Again, all of these were from the stash of 30s Sally gave me - all except the sashing.  I WILL put a border on this one but again, I'm tired and called it good for now.  In person it really is a sweet top.

After battling with my back for two months I came down with shingles and have been dealing with that the past week and a half-two weeks.  It's better now, just a little twingey reminder now and then.  And I'm tired.

Today is Pi (e) day.   I had just a small container of black raspberries in the freezer and since I'm home alone for a couple of days I thought I would celebrate.  Black raspberries are too hard to come by to waste them. We go through a lot to pick them wild so each berry is cherished.  I knew because it was going to be a rainy day today I was going to devote it to my Chookshed #4 and didn't want to be distracted.  I went to the store and bought a pie shell.  I NEVER buy pie shells.  NEVER.  But again, I just wanted to get this in the oven with a minimum of fuss and distraction.   I will probably have this whole thing eaten by the time PH comes home. If you celebrate, Happy Pi Day.


5 comments:

  1. What an adorable little bird nest quilt. I love the sweet pastels. You found a way to make those 9-patches shine. The flower quilt is very nice too - I'd like to see that one close up. Yummy looking pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors in both of your finishes. We have a local pie shop and he offered a discount on whole pies on Pi day. I made sure I announced it at our monthly guild meeting that morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH is on first name basis with the pie shop.

      Delete
  3. The #4 challenge is lovely and I also like your dresden flowers .
    Your pie sure looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting time to finish up #4. It truly is a lovely lovely quilt!
    That dresdon quilt is to die for. Love 30s fabrics which makes me biased. The old dresdon pattern is so fitting for the fabrics too.
    Shingles - NOOOOOOO! They are horrible! I got them a couple of years ago, so now I tell everyone my age and older to get the shots! I got shingles and then the shot. I heard that I could maybe get them again because I already had them, but I have not. Didn't want anything to touch the skin on my side while I healed.

    ReplyDelete