Friday, May 22, 2020

Pots

When we moved to this house 5 years ago I immediately noticed this cast iron cauldron sitting in the yard next door.  Not used, not planted, not even a single brew on Halloween.  I just talked about it all of the time.  A perfect planter.   Then those people moved.

A new person moved in for a very few months. When his For Sale sign went in the yard I strongly urged PH to ask if we could have it.  The guy said no.  Nice, huh?  I kept mumbling that he was moving, what did he care?

New owner moves in.  Without my knowing it, PH again went to ask if there was a chance we could adopt the cauldron.  He said yes!  It helps that his wife didn't like it not even a little bit.
PH took our hand cart with wheels at the top and bottom, the two strong young men hefted it onto the cart and wheeled it down their driveway, down the middle of the street and around the corner to our driveway.

They said, "Denice, go stand in the exact spot you want this!"  So I did.  I did not ask them to haul it up the steep, twisty driveway to the top, where I originally thought I'd want it.  I made the concession to putting it at the bottom of the hill.
Then we went to a garden center near here and bought sweet potatoes to plant.  These aren't the decorative sweet potato vines you use in hanging baskets, these will grow real yummy sweet potatoes.  I scattered some marigolds in there to keep curious deer away at first.  I can take them out when the sweet potatoes take over.  They grow underground and I think the warm sun warming this cast iron pot will be a really good environment for them.




Chocolate cake number 4.  This was a mint chip sheet cake I put into two 8 inch layer pans.  I got this recipe  here
This one rates a 4 from the girls (they were eating it with their fingers standing in the doorway till we told them to go cut a piece on a plate) but more like a 3 from daughter and son-in-law.  They didn't like the chocolate chips in the frosting.  But the name of this is mint chip chocolate cake and it does have that mint chip ice cream taste to it.  I liked this one almost the best. 


2 comments:

  1. nice cauldron! that cake sounds pretty yum too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Denise, I need to try the cake recipe. I love mint chocolate!

    I would have wanted that pot too! Please post photos once the flowers are in full bloom this fall. I want to do potted plants and don't have cute things to plant them in. I have asked my sweetheart if he has any old tire rims. I think that would fit our style.

    ReplyDelete