Friday, May 15, 2020

Finishes

Last year a quilty friend told me of a woman in the next town over who has so much rhubarb she lets people come and pick.  It was such a beautiful day Wednesday I called her to see if it was close to ready.  She laughed and said it's so very ready to pick now.  I went over, masked, and was amazed at the size of her patch.
 In no time I picked 14 pounds!
 After cleaning and cutting and sugaring  and letting it sit to juice up
 I made a pie and four crisps.  The first pie of the season always goes to my brother, my sister got a crisp, we ate one and put two in the freezer.  I'll go again next week and get more.  It was so nice in January to pull out the crisps I made last summer for a taste of spring. 
 A couple of years ago Friend Marilyn and I split these antique stars between us.  Friend Jan was given them by someone and didn't want to fuss with them.  After carrying them around with me as my toteable project for two years I finally finished them.  This is the flimsy.  It's going to be awhile before it's quilted. This is a big one. 
 In the interest of clearing out I decided I've carried these pieces of old upholstery fabric from here to there long enough.  The two flowered blue ones in the middle?  That was our couch from about 22 years ago.   I don't know where I got the blue daisy fabric from.  The ticking?  I love that.  A local quilty friend often calls with antique pieces of things she doesn't want because SHE is cleaning out.  I always say yes to whatever she is willing to give away.   The ticking was a pillow.  PH and I dumped the feathers into the firepit to burn (that's a yucky smell!) and I washed and washed the ticking.  I absolutely loved the oldness of it and didn't want to fold it away.  So, it's a large tote with shoulder handles.
 I lined it with some chintz I had from who knows where?  This one is my favorite.  But I'm a bag lady so none of these will be lonely for tote jobs.
 I had some really heavy canvas that I thought I'd use as a tablecloth but didn't and won't. So a lining it is.
 This is another orphan.  I made the stars from diamonds the local friend gave me and the diamonds are cut from feedsacks and made cute stars.  I don't know if this will be hung or a table runner but I love the colors.

So - I've hit the bottom of the drawer! Not counting the four tops that need to be layered.

3 comments:

  1. love that star quilt! and the star runner (bottom photo) and those totes are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of you, I made a crisp out of a bit of the Rhubarb harvest this year I have only ever made rhubarb into pie. The crisp was delightful. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been so busy d, so much progress with your quilting projects. You know I have never made anything with rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete