Friday, August 30, 2019

Changelings


I've never had luck growing morning glories.  I've seen them growing between cracks in the side walk, I've heard of people who mow them down because they grow so prolifically, I've seen them so lush they take your breath away but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get them to grow for me.  Can't seem to grow a tomato either, but that's another story.

My sister-in-law was one of those people who would mow, pull and ignore hers and yet got lush vines that were gorgeous.  She gave me a jar of seeds a couple of years ago and I was a nay sayer. Pouting that it was a waste of time.  But what the heck, I decided  to try it her way.  I dumped the whole jar of seeds into one single hole in the stony ground we have here.  The next year I got a nice vine and a couple of flowers.  I tried it her way again and let the seeds of those few flowers fall where they may. Last year I got a nice vine and several flowers, three different colors.  

Again, I left them alone and this year I have beautiful vines and gorgeous flowers and I think it's going to work!






 As I walked past the morning glories I noticed stripes on the few milkweed plants that are growing in the "garden."  This little guy eats and eats and eats and eats and eats. He is no longer than an inch here but
 soon became this chubby thing.  Eat and eat and eat. 

I'll check tomorrow and the next day to see if the chrysallis has formed and in about 10 days this chubby thing is going to emerge a beautiful monarch butterfly.  Right in my yard.

2 comments:

  1. I love the name morning glories! Such a beautiful flower and hurray for perseverance and having lovely flowers in your garden now! I’m amazed to see that caterpillar growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos Denice, just amazing. Have a great day my friend.

    ReplyDelete