Saturday, June 1, 2019

Saturday

This weekend is Chooky's Chookshed Birthday and she's having a party.  Those of us who have to attend virtually are welcome to gather some projects, pour a glass of wine, stitch for the weekend and report in.   I have not yet given myself "permission" to stitch through the day at home, in the afternoon or in the morning.  I stitch in the evening, a throwback to when I worked, and I've been retired for 5 years.  But since I'm working my fingers to callouses to get three quilts done by Christmas I am working on quilt number two in honor of the birthday weekend.


 
 I can't say I haven't wavered though.  This morning I got the notion to try to dehydrate some rhubarb, just to see how it went. So PH and I drove into the countryside to get some.
One of the nice things about not being in the big city is well, being near the countryside and finding mom and pop produce farms.   I put up two sheets of thinly sliced rhubarb and had enough for a pie.
 
 We happened on this place last week and bought some asparagus for PH's party.  We are approaching the end of the season so went back this morning.  We have had so much rain and the temperatures are so cool that the crop is lasting longer but I fear for strawberries this year and only 25% of soybeans and corn have been planted.  Everything is mired in mud, including tractor tires. The middle section of the U.S. is just plain under water.  The forest out our backdoor is so lush, thick and deep green I told PH I expect to see dinosaurs lumbering through.



 

 


 When I see it like this, absolutely fresh, I wish I ate it.  I don't, but PH loves it.





2 comments:

  1. I am not much on either one, I have heard rhubarb pie is delicious??? Is that what you are going to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both but we would have to drive so so far to get that sort of produce.Yum

    ReplyDelete