Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Cloud Cuckoo Land

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr

     I wish I was smart enough to truly critique this book for you but I’m not. All I can tell you is this was a story about a story. A story that follows four children through time who are searching for a way to cope. The story is theirs for the time it is theirs. At the time they discover the story, they are hungry for it. It guides them, it protects them, they protect it with their lives. They are holding as theirs a story called Cloud Cuckoo Land by Antonius Diogenes, an ancient codex, a story that transforms all of their lives.
     There is Seymour, Anna, Omeir and Konstance. And Zeno. So, five. We travel from ancient times to the far, far future. We travel with them through libraries and meet librarians that keep us alive. We cheer them on and cringe in fear. But always we hope with them and for them.
     I know I’m being cryptic but what can I tell you? I’m not good enough for this book. I can simply tell you I immediately wanted to read the advance copy because of Anthony Doerr. I can tell you I’ve waited for a book like this for a long time. A book that has depth, imagination, a book that is thought provoking, a book that I would think about when I wasn’t reading it and couldn’t wait to get back to. A book that, with every page, gave me an “ah HA!” moment. This was a story I was hungry for and knew as I was reading it I wasn’t up to the job of reviewing it because this is a book that both can be enjoyed for the story but also discussed at length in a classroom for months. Such digging you could do with this! And if I was in one of those classrooms I’d realize so much more and see so much more!
      All I can say is what’s said in the book: Stranger, whoever you are, open this to learn what will amaze you. Yes, that’s all I can say. I can only promise you won’t be sorry. But take your time and savor it.

3 comments: