Friday, July 19, 2019

Fun Days

Earlier this week the Lowell Historical Museum held a day camp where the kids could choose activities including making a model of a covered bridge, making donuts and cooking eggs over a hobo fire. For my part I helped the kids with with flower pounding and writing/drawing with a quill pen.  The camp is held on the grounds of Fallasburg Village, home of a covered bridge, and where people still live in the actual historic homes.  It's a beautiful, peaceful place right on the Flat River.







 I spent most of the day before gathering flowers.  Friend Karen graciously let me strip her garden, I stopped by the roadsides for some, and took my geraniums and day lilies.  I even stopped at the local McDonald's and asked if I could have a cup full of their marigold blossoms.
 You never know what you are going to get after you've pounded a flower.  You might think that orange day lily is going to give you orange but it's more purple and yellow.  The red roses gave purple, the trumpet vine flowers gave brown.
 This was a  pale purple petunia.
 Some made a sampler of different flowers, some made pictures forming skirts, heads, hair, limbs with different parts and pieces of flowers.  The best intensity was from marigolds, geraniums, petunias, pansies.  It depends on the flower (and what I could find.) The kids were excited to see what they thought they would get was very different from what they actually DID get.

 There was also a lesson in square dancing!
 It was a little daunting at first but by the second time around they had a good handle on what to do.
 With some improvising, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a very crafty day. I love historic villages.

    ReplyDelete