Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter poodle

My grandma always always made the lamb mold cake for Easter. But not once in my life have I seen it actually get cut and eaten. It held pride of place on her Easter dining table and she ate it herself after the holiday. It became a family story. My brother said he's seen it cut but it certainly wasn't on Easter.
I decided when I received an interesting recipe for frosting this year that I would make the lamb cake for the first time. The story of that frosting can be long or short. The short version is that I received a recipe for "European buttercream" from a parent from school but as I read it I had a few questions so I googled "European buttercream" and was given the choice between Italian buttercream or Swiss. The googled Swiss version was closest to the recipe from the parent so I went with it.
Long version: Six sticks of butter sounded like a lot of butter AND that it would make a lot of frosting so I halved the recipe. Now, I do know my way around a recipe. In the pre-fondant buttercream days I used to decorate wedding cakes so I wasn't afraid to try this. But it WAS different.
The first attempt was perfect! But only covered half of the cake so I had to make another batch and that went down the drain as a big sticky mess. Attempt number 3 was a bit like marshmallow creme but I went with it anyway and added the butter anyway.....I was using up LOTS of butter!!
The lamb was frosted in what I was hoping looked like lamby curls. I think it looks like the poodle we used to have when I was a kid. Elizabeth saw it and asked her mommy why a cow was sitting on the table. Sigh.
The finished piece tasted great. My mom kept saying over and over that the frosting was delicious. It's light, not overly sweet (because there's hardly any sugar in it) and very easy to work with. Google "Swiss buttercream."

Oh, and I really did cut it!
We had 6 little ones here for the afternoon. We hid candy stuffed plastic eggs and each child picked a color. When they were searching they could only pick up their color.
Adelaide's color was yellow.
Here are my niece's four and our E and A. Oh, and their great-grandma!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Easter Denice! (and family)...
    looks like everyone had a lovely day...great idea with the colours for the egg hunt

    ReplyDelete