Sunday, March 25, 2012

Saturday

We went to see the kids this weekend. We haven't seen Charlie since the end of January and
we haven't seen Ceci since Christmas. She was sick at my birthday so she had to stay home. Wow...what a difference a couple of months makes in the littlest ones. Ceci is talking with very understandable words. I was shocked when she said, "I want a cookie." Well, what grandma can resist THAT! I always make a batch of chocolate chip cookies when we know we're going to see them and I would have given her the whole jar full if I could have gotten away with it!
We went to Detroit's Eastern Market. A huge complex of a farmer's market. Building after building after building. Some very international food, some flowers, some of everything. The side streets are lined with shops that supplement and make the market even more exciting. I saw some things for sale I've never seen before...
...like quail eggs.
And these roses! They stopped everyone. I asked how they got those colors and the vendor said they inject the roses with colored dyes. They certainly were interesting. Each individual petal is a different color.
And spring flowers were everywhere! I bought some pansies because for now that's what I can put out. It IS still only March and they're predicting close to the freezing point for tonight. We're so close to the lake we probably won't get that cold but it could freeze inland. I hope we have fruit this summer.....

1 comment:

  1. After lots more rain over the last week, I went to bed last night with two extra quilts on! Think autumn has finally arrived. I hope the rain has gone for a short time anyway - with our climate, we never wish rain away for too long, but I would like a bit of a break! I'm thinking of getting some new plants - for us the best time to plant is autumn as they have the mildness of winter to settle in before the harsh summer hits. Good luck with the fruit - summer fruits are the best, we've just finished ours.

    ReplyDelete