Friday, September 16, 2011

Bittersweet

It's almost fall here. Besides the obvious signs, lengthening shadows, songbirds are gone, winds from the north, the bittersweet is ripening. I love this vine. The berries are green/yellow at first, and as the vine leaves start to turn yellow and the berries plump it's the sign it's time to cut some vines.
It grows in one of the fields in the neighborhood. And I covet the spot. If you bought one sprig of this in the farmers markets you pay a king's ransom for it. I know people who would never ever reveal 'their spot.' I'm quite particular about MY spot. Patient Husband and I take the lopers and wear heavy shoes when it's time to climb into the brush and up a tree or two to cut this little beauty.
When it's brought into the house those yellow berries open up and reveal a beautiful little orange berry inside. It's so fall looking. I strip the leaves off the vines and just drape them here and there throughout the house. I'd like to perfect my technique and do a wreath but the berries like to fall off if you're not careful.
This year a neighbor drove by as we were harvesting. We've always managed to cut the vines without detection. She stopped to ask what we were doing. Ugh! Caught! I tried to evade the question. She's too smart for that.
Yes, I gave her some vines when we were finished. The field IS right next to her house, after all.
Happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment