Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Holiday weekend fun

Our fun filled action packed holiday weekend began with a trip to the cherry orchard for the first picking of the year. Picking cherries is the most fun because you get to climb a ladder, and if you're five years old you've found a tree with a ladder leaning against it and before Grandma can even THINK "be careful," you're at the top showing her your fist filled.

Princess Cherry Juice was eating them as fast as we could dig the pit out.





Elizabeth and Charlie let Grandpa have the hammock in the backyard and opted to swing in the one on the back porch.



We went to town to watch the fireworks display from the city beach. The kids were already spent and fireworks are no fun unless it's full dark and sometimes it's just so hard to keep your eyes open.


But the payoff was worth it. As soon as the first boom happened and the sky lit up, they were up on their little toes picking out their favorites. We liked the ones that filled the sky and there were some new to us that looked like water falls. I love fireworks. Really love them.




Everybody left the holiday barbeque yesterday and Patient Husband and I were totally spent. I thought today that it's just not fair....when the grandkids are young and rambunctious and running WE are arthritic, old and slow. Saying goodbye is followed by an ibuprofen and couch time. Naps are wasted on the young.


Tonight, all is quiet and as I watered some pots I thought I'd share my lavender. The bees are loving this front yard. I'd love to find this feral hive.



My garden loom project of last summer has fulfilled all I wanted it to be. It's beautiful, it's woven with wool rovings and grape vines and a few days ago Patient Husband and I stood in the window and watched gold finches swarm all over it, perching on the sticking out grapevines, picking at the wool for their nests. JUST what I wanted it to be!



I don't get fussy. I fill the pots with pinks and whites so the lavender is what shows off.


It's a peaceful evening.
















No comments:

Post a Comment